HybridZ

mr2 motor 3sgte

Guest storm280z

Not a straight forward hybrid swap. You have to use the Japanese Altezza RWD tranny or get a custom bellhousing adapter made to mate the Toyota W50W58 tranny to it. I am not sure how the L series tranny would bolt up to it and what kind of work is needed there.

Later model 3SGTE (3rd and 4th gen JDM) version were 250hp stock, 12psi boost stock and VVT. Strong engines that will look 400hp in its face and smile.

Interesting Zcar conversion - nice thinking.

Regards - Yasin

I considered swapping a 3SGTE into my 4th gen celica. They are pretty tough engines. The japanese touring car supras are running these engines and not the 2jz. I decided a S13 silvia would be a much better platform for a project car than the celica though.

• 1 month later...

I have a '91 mr2 turbo, and I have nothing bad to say about the 3s-gte, the engine is great. It would work well in a Z, and it's about as bulletproof an engine as your likely to find. Not to mention the 7,200 RPM redline (stock) is a lot of fun. I won't say it too loud, but I wasn't paying enough attention one day, and found out that fuel cut doesn't hit until around 7,750 RPM, where the engine was still pulling happily.

Guest Zachb55

Well actually, im not sure why, but Toyota swiched from the 3SGTE to their V8 motor that is in some lexus for the 2003 JGTC cars. i wonder what engine exactly they are using now, sounds like a doable swap, if they can put one in a supra and race the crap out of it, it must be a mighty fine power plant.

• 2 weeks later...