HybridZ

IS A RB26DETT STREET LEGAL?

CUBAN

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I guess, in theory, if you had a Skyline imported through Motorex, then removed the engine and installed it in your Z with all the Skyline's emissions equipment, then it might be legal, but that's just a ridiculous idea. :?

However... then you could put an LS1 with all of its emissions equipment into the Skyline chassis :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Why not just keep your old engine for "inspections". Who cares about what's legal, ridiculous laws that shouldn't apply in the first place are meant to be broken.

How is an RB engine any different than a crate engine? What difference does it make where the block was cast? You still have an engine with no smog pedigree.

The law quoted above only governs the importation of the motor. Once the engine has legally made it through customs, then what does that law have to do with putting it in an old car? If it was flat illegal to import such an engine, then how could legal buisnesses exist to do so?

I am no lawyer here, seems to me once you get that referee certificate attached to your car, then you are legal. You have done all you can do.

Also I wouldn't worry about jail time for an illegal motor, especially if you went through the trouble of certifying the swap with the state.

Actually this is why I dislike smog laws, too many ambiguous laws and common sense may or may not apply depending upon who you talk to.

Hey, no ******* shit, a curse filter!! How do yoy like that Fing chit?

Guest Anonymous

Jim,

An RB has no smog pedigree, but a crate motor is usually based from a motor with a smog pedigiree such as the 350, 454, etc.. So I don't think that is a good comparison.

I think you are missing some important points. Just because you can legally import a car with the said motor says nothing to the legality of the motor in another car. They are required to mod the cats, etc.. to make the car meet US emmissions. The reasonable man should say that if you can get your RB or other non US motor to pass smog, then it should be legal. However, that is not the case, and it really isn't addressed. And in reality, who has ever been nailed for this issue..... It is not clearly defined, and the confusion results.

And I seriously doubt you could get a referee to put a certificate on your RB motored Z as they have no books or guidelines to follow.

As stated before, this is much a moot discussion as it is unlikely any of us will ever have to deal with it.

-Bob

This stuff will make your head spin.

The general rule of motor swaps is that the swap engine must meet the requirements of the engine year or the car year, whichever is newer. Crate engines, I was told in a recent thread, had to meet the requirements for the year of installation. I think Greimann told me this, and since he is one of the few people who has taken the time to actually certify his swap then I tend to believe him.

Thinking this through (I don't know a definitive answer), saying a 350 crate motor has a smog pedigree just because it is a 350 doesn't hold water. A 350 from a 1970 Camaro isn't remotely close smog wise to an LS1 engine. And a fast burn 385 with the hot cam kit is even more different.

From a common sense point of view, an RB engine has a stirling smog pedigree since the Japanese smog laws make our laws look downright permissive. I have been told that this is why you can buy so many relatively low mile Japanese engines. Their emission testing is so strict that cars with 50 thousand miles often flunk and require an overhaul.

Of course, Japan's laws are not our laws, and unless the referee station has some kind of direction as to what equipment the car must have, then I agree that they will probably back away from issuing a certificate.

So if the above is true, then what would it take to get a crate motor certified, and couldn't the same procedure be used on an RB engine?