HybridZ

IS A RB26DETT STREET LEGAL?

CUBAN

I have never said you can't do it, just it is not legal. Just because they don't look under the hood doesn't mean it is ok.

I can't think of a good example of something else that we all do, but it is illegal even if it is not checked. I guess you could look at it this way: a radar detector in a state where it was not allowed. I can run a radar detector here in Virginia, but it is against the law. At my state inspection, that is not something they check, so I can get away with it, but that doesn't make it any more legal.

Bottom line, engine is illegal to run, but noone checks...its one thing they could get you with if they chose, but it isn't worth it. Besides, how many people would know that motor was never sold here in the US? I'd bet very, very few, and virtually no Police or inspectors.

-Bob

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I HAVE AN IDEA. WHAT IF I IMPORTED A SKYOINE AND PUT ON Z BODY ON IT. WOULD THAT STILL BE STREET LEGAL

THANKS

ALEX

ok now this is getting stupid.... dont take offense but the fact you asked such a question tells me your not very knowledgable on the swap. both are unibody ... you cant swap the body... if you pay the 80000 US to get a skyline into the us why would you kill it to put it in a Z?

get an old z and buy a half cut and do the swap... if you search thru this board you can find all teh info you need. again im not slamming you but your question is out there :wink:

Alex,

You are then doing what most of us RB swapers have done, put the motor in the Z body. Still goes by a Z for registration, still has an illegal motor that will likey never be checked. I will still street drive my RB powered Z knowing the motor is not legal.

-Bob

Here is a good one for everyone to ponder about this subject. I am in the process of swapping an RB20DET into a 1978 Fairlady-Z. It is not going to have any special or unique modifications. It will even have a catalytic converter and AC.

According to CA law, an engine swap is legal as long as all emission control gear is retained. True, the RB series engines were never imported into the US domestic market. But... my 2.0 liter Z never was either.

zrl,

That jagsthatrun page sums it up very well about California engine swaps. I have dealt with the referees in the past and have had no problems with them.

If it passes CA stardards then it would be legal anywhere in the U.S.

I bet RBs pollute less than the L6s. (stock form) :)

Smog is a globle concern. :!:

I really object the doing of breaking any environmental law, but I won't accuse "the whom". however, we should not make our enjoyments upon our fore coming generations' suffering. :?:

Anyone care? :roll:

Guys, this is getting out of hand and bad info is being passed out.

The site zrl listed,(jags that run), references US motor swaps into a US car.

Show me where it says a SR20det motored 240sx is legal? I'm not saying it won't pass smog, but show me a Ref in califiornia that will pass it. They need the emissions diagram books for the us cars, and there is no such animal for the SR or RB motors......therefore they are illegal and won't be given registration stickers. Show me a guy in CA that has his car registered properly with the SR motor. Their are ways to get around it, but not to do it the right way.

Therefore, in a state such as South Carolina where they don't do squat to check the car, I can "register" the car and it is "legal". However, the motor is not federally legal to put in the car and neve will be. California and other similar states make it even harder by having visual inspections and smog checks.

I'll find you the "legal wording" to satisfy you. But in the meantime, stop saying they are ok, as they are not. There is a difference between getting away with a swap, and it being legal.

-Bob

I don't have a RB yet, but I'm planning on getting one (RB26DETT & AWD for my Z).

I believe the legal-issue is not the engine (whether or not make for or use in US).

It is that 'functional' smog equipment must be installed with whatever engine swap.

I think there are many ways we can install smog equipment with the RBs.

we can reference or use smog stuff from other Nissan cars, or design your own (learn it). This should not be a hard job.

Dude, understand what you are saying. Even if you found someone who would say, "put the smog equipment in and your ok", there is NO books for the Ref's to look at and verify you have it all hooked up.

I think you are demonstrating a big lack of understanding on the issues involved. Don't be the guy who spends $5k on the RB26 engine, $5k on the swap, then can't get it legal. Understand you may do the swap,(do you really know how much it costs to put in the RB26? Have you even read my threads on transplanting the AWD into the Z?), and it might not be road legal.

I would say it is clear you are still very much in the research mode as evidence by your AWD comments. Do a good search in this forum about the AWD swap, you'll be surprised.

-Bob

Main issue. My DX is a CA certified vehicle. Bought in CA, and CA registered. It is therefore illegal to put anything other than a CA certified California engine in my vehicle. The ZC was never offered in the US, and there was not a DOHC Civic offered in my model generation car. Thus the ZC would not be a smog legal replacement engine.
http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/casmog.html#legalzc

I see. Damn.

I knew about the AWD issue. I will be designing my own front and rear suspension. Yes, it'll be a big project.

Please don't think I'm craZy (maybe i'm). I've wanted this to be done since I had my first 280Z in 1997. (4yrs in the USMC and now finishing up my BS in engineering degree). I'll start the project no later than next summer.

I guess I won't be living "completely legal". oh well.

Can the serial# be altered on the block?

What about non-CA certified cars?

I COULD GET A 1992 GTR-32 WITH A RB26DETT SHIPPES TO CANADA FOR 12 GRAND

ALEX

And it will still be ILLEGAL in the USA. Motorex is the ONLY authorized importer. Any other importer cannot Federalize the Skyline. Bring it into Canada if you wish but you will be unable to tag it legally in the United States. This has been discussed ad nauseum on other forums. Motorex even responded to one thread on Supraforums about this. If you really want the nitty gritty you can look it up there. FWIW - they have to weld in reinforcements on that car to make it legal here.

Here is the best reference I can find to show you the motor is illegal.

From the following link:

http://internet.ggu.edu/~emilian/ops113/ch31.html

Emission Requirements: The Clean Air Act, as amended, prohibits the importation of any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine not in conformity with emission requirements prescribed by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This restriction applies whether the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is new or used, and whether it was originally produced for sale and use in a foreign country, or originally produced (or later modified) to conform to EPA requirements for sale or use in the United States. In addition to passenger cars, all trucks, multipurpose vehicles (e.g., all-terrain vehicles, campers), motorcycles, etc., that are capable of being registered by a state for use on public roads or that the EPA has deemed capable of being safely driven on public roads, are subject to these requirements. The term "vehicle" is used below to include all EPA-regulated vehicles and engines.

Pretty clear to me. Not legal at all. However, as we have said several times, you can register and get your car legal. Just realize the motor is not technically allowed.

-Bob

Here is one more sentence from that page. I think this defines what it actually means:

EPA considers a U.S.-version vehicle that has had modifications to its drive train or emission control system to be a non-U.S.-version vehicle, even though it may be labeled a U.S.-version vehicle.

In laymans terms, I put a RB26 motor in my U.S. 240z, it is now a non-U.S. version vehicle.

-Bob