HybridZ

Brake fluid?? What to do with after it has been used?

innerware

I seal it in an empty antifreeze container and put it in the trash. Unfortunately our dump's recycle center doesn't take brake fluid or tranmission fluid. They take everything else though.

I don't think you are suppose to mix brake fluid with motor oil. Just like antifreeze, I think brake fluid makes the motor oil un-recycleble.

I don't think you are suppose to mix brake fluid with motor oil. Just like antifreeze' date=' I think brake fluid makes the motor oil un-recycleble.[/quote']

Well we cant let it build up in containers in our garages :lol:

I hear you. But I don't know what to do about it. I did a quick web search and confirmed what I thought, Mixing anything like antifreeze, degreasers or paint solvents makes motor oil un-recyclable. (One teaspoon of antifreeze will contaminate up to 50 gallons of oil) Anything with chlorine (like using empty bleach containers) will make it un recyclable also.

Brake fluid is a little less clear. I found one site that said it could be mixed with used oil for recycling (a recycle center in Hawaii). Every other site said to NOT mix brake fluid with oil. Several sites flat out stated that brake fluid and transmission fluid cannot be recycled and must be disposed of as toxic waste.

What to do.

Funny, one site listed windsheild washer fluid as a toxic waste. They said to wear gloves when adding it. Their recommendation was to use 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water instead of buying methonol based windsheild washer fulid.

Id do the right thing if i could actually collect my brake fluid. I often bump the can over and it spills all over the place. Seriously, i still have old brake fluid in a huge can from years ago and the can is under halfway, long way to go.

I also think you're right on not mixing brake fluid with oil, antifreeze contains (or is, or is made from...something like that :? ) glycol, and brake fluid is/has/comes from polyglycol. I think I've usually just let mine sit around in the bottles I collect it in...some day I'll have to find some place to take it. If someplace would take antifreeze, maybe you could mix the brake fluid with that? [edit] BTW don't mix antifreeze and brake fluid.

Guest Al 260Z

I vote with Tim : DO THE RIGHT THING ! Don't mix hazardous waste with waste oil or dump in the woods.

In Placer Co. CA, the local oil recycle places won't take anti-freeze, brake fluid, old gas or solvent. I store these up until I have enough to warrant a trip to the county "transfer" facility with the haz material disposal. They have a 5 gallon limit. I recommend keeping all byproducts labelled. Some, like antifreeze, might have a chance to be recycled. Otherwise labels will help the unlucky bastards who have to sort out and deal with the crap.

Later,

Al

I use it as paint stripper. Been using the same pan for acouple years now. It slowly works down as you wipe the parts off that have been dunked. God knows if you drip some on the inside of the engine bay when filling up you will have a bare metal spot in acouple of days.

I do recycle my oil, although I was told it does wonders on ant mounds.