HybridZ

SR20det mounting idea

David K

Ok its a fact that the sr20det is a performer, and its light, and it came from a car that weighs as much or less than a first gen Z, and it would sit BEHIND the front suspension crossmember in a first gen Z. I was talking to Mike (ON3GO), and we were talking about a quick swap to complete before he goes to Texas in 2 months. He suggested purchasing an rb front clip, but its in CALI and would probably take about a month to get to him.

Well Mike, being the former owner of an SR20det powered 240sx, happens to agree the sr20 is capable of being a hardcore performer in a first gen Z. Well you cant argue with him, since hes been there, done that. So i voiced a few ideas, and i decided to share them here.

The sr20 engine would obviously sit behind the front suspension crossmember in a first gen z. Now its clear there would be mounting issues. I suggested Mike, weld 2 tube piping crossmembers parallel to where the engine would sit. Then the mounts could be welded to them to where the engine sits in the position that the tranny shifter would stick up through the existing shifter hole. After he measures for the crossmembers and gets them in straight, all he has to do is get the engine hoist, drop in the sr20 with mounts attached, and then make mounts from there.

Now, some of you might be thinking these "crossmembers" would present a safety hazard, being a front end collision would send them through the firewall like a spear and kill poor Mike. I suggest notching the crossmembers so they would crush under impact.

See my drawing for reference.

sr20idea.jpg

So what do you all think? Me, i feel that the sr20 is a resource that is more available than the rb, and performs a tad under what an rb would, which is ok for lots of people. Its a stout engine that comes powerful, and is very very capable of mucho grande power.

Guest ON3GO

hehe looks like my Z. same color too.

my SR was done by a shop so i cant say much about mounting it but that was in a different car so.

but yeah the SR can move a 240sx pretty good.

and mine was fairly stock.

boost controller, exhaust, downpipe, intake, S-AFC, FMIC, radiator, and racing header. i could be forgeting a few things... its been awhile.

but i do like the idea of a SR in a old Z.

its either this or a L28et.

i dunno.

Thanks david.. very well done!

Mike i was also thinking of ideas to keep those front crossmembers from distorting the firewall. How about welding a 1/4 inch thick plate on the firewall where the crossmembers would weld to? It would also help the safety factor of the crossmembers NOT coming through the firewall under impact. Notching the crossmembers so the crush if needed, and this plate on the firewall would make it almost 100% safe and sturdy.

See my next lame drawing for reference. :lol::D

sr20idea2.jpg

I charge $.50 per idea to go towards my drawing school fund :D

Now, the sr20 would give TONS of space up front. That would allow for a THICK radiator, a big electric fan, and a thick intercooler,....and/or anything that can be thought of to increase performance.

how about this one, get the front clip, pull the motor trans and the xmember for the motor out at the same time, hoist it up, and see where that would fall or hit, im thinking its too wide, trim it a bit to the point where all you would need is some box steel mounts to the framerails, triangulate them to the firewall or whatever, or you can triangulate them to the original z x member. could be done in a day if you ahve welder, sawzall, diegrinder, drill, bolts, and many people to help.

just an idea...

Good idea Len.

Your idea does work, but there are several reasons why it might not be a good idea. Mike would have to buy an entire front clip $$$$. He will need room for 2 cars in the garage, putting his dads nice vette outside :( . It will be messy with all the extra parts and the clip laying around. Then after he gets what he needs, he will have to dispose of the clip which could cost him $$$. And then after its all done, it would look messy in the engine bay.

He can get an sr20det/tranny with the wiring harness/ecu delivered to his door for probably thousands less then purchasing the whole front clip.

I like your idea Len. I don't think its a huge amount more to get the clip instead of just the engine. Theres a guy on here, name is ATStephen, supposedly sells front clips and lives in Orlando, so shipping wouldn't really be too much of a cost for Mike. I tried asking the guy how much for a red top front clip in a post a couple weeks ago but haven't got a reply yet.

Guys. Dont run those mount back to the fire wall. Do what len said or make up a new X-member. Use box section tube so you can cut it up and re weld it easily. Make it so it will strengthen the area the trailing arms of the front suspention to as well. On my corolla we moved the fire wall back a foot to get the engine way behind the x-member and I just built wings that attach to the chassis rail that the engine mounts to. there will be a thick aluminium bash plate that will mount back under it all to tie it all in. This will be removable to get the engine in and out. I think fabing up a new x- member will be the safest, cheepest, most pratical,lightest, and nicest looking alternative for that set up.

Douglas

• 2 weeks later...

As far as simplicity is concerned motor plates are great but if you dont want to rattle your teeth out and biting your tongue while talking some mounts of any kind are going to be alot better.I think I still like the first idea if you put a large steel plate on the firewall I dont think you would have to worry about the driver becoming a ka bob. I am seriously thinking about the sr going in my convertible to have a modern lightweigt motor that is good on gas and very peppy. Still looking at cost and difficulty factors here though.