HybridZ

03 cobra swap anyone ???

stony

I can go measure ours tonight to see how wide the thing is. We put on the Densecharger intake and it's been dyno proven from 22 to 25 RWHP. You can tell a difference. If you want some real power, I'd look at a Kenne Bell supercharger. Can anyone say 600HP with everything else stock?

If was going to do a Ford cammer motor, I'd be much more interested in the 5.0 cammer crate motor Ford is supposed to sell. It has the aluminum block, so it's much lighter than that iron monstrosity we have sitting if front of our dashboard. It sure is strong though. Oh...Just to let you guys know, some guy made it in to the 9s with AC, almost full interior, an automatic tranny swap, and the stock rear end. That's an IRS rear end holdin' up to the power.

That 9second car is Nitrous Pete. Aftermarket automatic in that car too. I've seen more than a few Cobras make close to 500RWHP. My friend's shop works on them and Lightnings every single day. It's no wider than the regular 4.6Cobra motor but the blower raises it's height some I THINK. If anyone needs measurements, again, I can go over there with a tape measure...

It seems the price for a crate motor is somewhere between 10k and 15k as far as I heard. That is supposedly complete, supercharger and all.

Nitrous Pete has a quick car, but Jim D'Amore's is more impressive IMO. He took a vert with supposedly less power and the six speed, and almost went as quick as Pete. The vert is couple hundred pounds heavier to boot.

There is a better option than the Cobra motor too. It's the 5.0L cammer motor that Ford is supposedly selling. Its cheaper than the Cobra motor by quite a bit, and it's all aluminum. You can also have the option of getting the 26 or 27 spline input shaft instead of the 10 spline that comes on the Cobra, because you're going to have to buy an aftermarket clutch and a tranny anyways. If I remember correctly, the 5.0 cammer is putting out over 400Hp directly from Ford for quite a bit less. If you look hard, you may find some really strong 01 Cobra motors that have worked over. I'll see if I can find the websites.

You cvan work over the older 4valve motors for sure but the price goes up and up. The 10K price sounds high to me, I have heard that if you blow an older crate motor the Ford replacement motor under warranty is an 03 Cobra motor - yes with a blower :shock:

If someone decides to seriously build a 4valve Cobra motor one of th ebest shops around for this stuff is local to me and is doing motors for Larocca (sp?) and others. I wouldn't touch a Shawn Hyland motor - I've seen their work more than once. <ahem>.

We have an excellent place out here in Santa Clara I believe. They specialize in Cobra's, LS1's, and Vipers. I think their name is Apex Motorsports and I'm pretty sure they'd be willing to do some motor work for a decent price.

I'd love to do a Ford motor, but I have something else in mind. It isn't the usual, but it's along the same lines as the Ford. I just need to get the money first.

• 3 weeks later...