HybridZ

They Meant SR20DET in a 240Z!

Sweet ride! Though I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd leave the stock fan on there 12" away from the rad and with an electric fan as well...

Yea it does kinda baffle the mind. All I can think is, maybe electric fan=cooler water, mech fan= cooler exterior motor/componets o.gif

:D:D

Looks damm nice anyway he'd have it... :burnout:

Guest JAMIE T

After the turbo L6, that is my next project. Thanks for posting the pix! I drove a 240sx with DET swap. I loved the smooth power of the DET. It was nearly seamless on the dyno.

Sweet ride! Though I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd leave the stock fan on there 12" away from the rad and with an electric fan as well...

They did that so they could see who was best at catching their shirt sleeve on the fan blade.

Nice looking swap though. I know those motors can produce some good power.

• 2 months later...
where would it go? cars a gnose..unless you cut some of the panel out and mounted it on a slant....which would be so damn cool.

:?: ummm... where everybody else puts it, maybe? (in front of the rad support). It's still the same hood - the g-nose just extends past the point where the stock z's buckets stop

V-MOUNT

I'm working with someone on an SR20DET conversion now and they keep saying the same thing. And I keep asking, "Where's the air going to go after it comes through the front of the car?"

The engine compartment aero of the early Z is designed to exhaust radiator airflow down immediately after the radiator. A V-mount won't change that basic airflow pattern so the radiator (which is traditionally on the bottom of a V-mount) will receive most of the air flow and the intercooler will be stuck in a dead air zone near the hood.

The other alternative is to belly pan the engine compartment, put a big rectangular hole in the hood with a forward lip, and exhaust all the air-flow up (like an NSX front hood). That will require a front air dam and splitter plus the belly pan and the internal engine bay ducting.

FYI... I was able to get the SR20DET engine mounted behind the front crossmember, which doesn't appear to be the case in the pictures I've seen so far.

Probably not. There's too much welding involved in the installation, including notching the crossmemeber. I can't oversee the quality of the work but I could still be held liable for something going wrong.

If its for a track only car - not registered for the street, not insured, and the customer signs a disclaimer then I might consider making and selling the mounts. Maybe.

V-MOUNT

I'm working with someone on an SR20DET conversion now and they keep saying the same thing. And I keep asking, "Where's the air going to go after it comes through the front of the car?"

The air will flow out of vents in hood, i'd have something similar to this:

DSC02688.jpg

or this:

1021.jpg

i would fabricate a belly pan aero panel out of thick lexan that covers everything in front of the crossmember.

vmdia.jpg

i think with all the extra space in the engine bay a V-mount setup with a custom rad support would be the way to go.