HybridZ

KA24DET Swap? 240,260,280?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi im new to the board and have a lot of questions. I've been thinking about getting a Z since I started driving two years ago. I need to separate myself from all the the integras and civics driving around in the school parking lot. Right now im driving my mom's pink galant and finally saved up enough money to buy a car. I was wondering what the differences between the 240, 260, and the 280zs are. I know that the displacement get larger from 2.4 to 2.8 and thats about it, it all looks the same to me. Once I figure out which Z to get i'm probably going to swap out the L and put in a KA24DE. The main reason im doing this is because I dont know anything about carbuerators and would rather go with electronic fuel injection. I have a lot of questions about this swap. Would it be a direct swap or would there be little or a lot of cutting and welding? Im guessing that it isn't a direct swap. Im planning on getting it done by a professional, because I have no experience in swapping motors or transmissions. Would this be a very costly swap? With labor im hoping to keep the total cost or the swap under 2 grand. Would any of you have an estimate of how much it would all add up to including the motor,tranny,mounts,ecu harnesses,ect. plus labor?The motor and trassmission is relativly cheap in my area since everyone is jumping on the SR20DET bandwagon. I need to use this car to drive from work and back so it has to be reliable. Would it be a better choice to stick with the Lseries motor? I plan on maybe turboing it some day. Im also joinning the SCCA soon and want to start autoxing.Sorry if this post is dumb, any information of advice you can give me would be great.

Guest shuyun

First question what are the differences in the 240z, 260z, 280z, and 280zx.

US Production dates:

1969-1973 for the 240z, 1974 for the 260z, 1975-1978 for the 280z and 1980-1983 for the 280zx.

US Engines:

the 240Z came with a 2.4L dual carb engine, the 260Z came with a 2.6L dual carb engine, the 280Z came with EFI and the 280ZX came with EFI and Turbo Options form 81-3

Body

The 240z it the lightest body the early production date 260z have the lighter body also. The late production date 260z have the heaver body style as they added heavy bumpers and more crash portecion. The 280z and 280xz have heaver bodies as the crash proctection contuniued to increase weight.

Engine swaps:

if you are looking for a fairly easy swap just put in a 1981-83 turbo motor the swap is bolt in with the engine and the EFI is not to hard to wire in. (or so I have been told.)

Overall:

Just get a good looking 1981-83 turbo. It is the easiest way to go no swaping just start with the mods. Increase the size of the turbo, Intercool the Turbo system, Increse injector size to supply the fuel, Swap the breaks to handle the new power.

Hope this answers most of your questions. And if I got anything Completly wrong please correct me.

Shuyun :D

I have a 1973 240Z with a draw through turbo setup which I am currently pputing on to a 2.8L form a 1981 290zx trubo.

Greetings and welcome.

I just want to point out that we are pretty open when it comes to any swap into any car... but I have to ask why the KA24? Is it just because it is fuel injected? There is a very good reason that people go with the SR20DET, because it is a proven performer capable of big power numbers. The KA24 isn't so proven.

If you want a swap to EFI, then you should just buy a 75-83 280z or 280zx, since they came with factory fuel injection.

If you want more power potential and something that bolts in, look at a 280zx turbo engine, from 81-83. (yes its fuel injected too)

One final note, is that the round top hitachi SU carbs really aren't bad at all. If you want to autocross, I'd get a 70-73 240z (they are way lighter), and spend your money on suspension upgrades. $2k isn't a ton of money to work with, but if you have a running Z with round top SU's, then $2k can get you springs, shocks, and brakes, maybe even wheel and tires if you get a few good deals. These items will make you faster in autocross than an engine swap will.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the responses. I would get the SR20DET but right now I dont have a ton of cash to blow. I could get the SR20DET but have no money left to swap it. So thats why I opt for the KA24. But the engine from the 280zx turbo sounds nice. Where could i find one in good condition? How much boost can their stock internals handle? Im looking to get 250 - 300 streetable horsepower. If happen to find one in good condition it would be a direct swap right? Thats all for now, thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: The main reason I wanted the KA was because I could easily find one with under 50k miles on it.

I agree, stock 240Z + stock L28ET will be more than enough to toast 99% of the Civics and Integra's out there. Also since your having a professional do the swap, it should be pretty affordable since theres not a huge amount of work to be done. You might be better off budget wise to just buy a 280ZX Turbo for now, then later on when you have more of a budget to work with, get yourself a 240Z and perform the swap.

1980-1983 for the 280zx.

Thats 79-83. 1979-1980 were N/A 2.8's. Turbo 280zx's came out in 81 and went until 83. N/A's were also availabe all years of the Turbo 280zx. 1981 Turbo only had Automatic trans.

250 - 300 streetable horsepower.

Thats cake! There are many guys here making that much on stock internals, and slightly modded FI systems. I also think truth be hold that the stock internals could hold more than 300hp.

Welcome to the site bro!

Guest Anonymous

Okay guys, I did i search and found a couple 280zx's in my area. The one think that bothers me is the amount of miles all of them have on them. Thay all have around 200k miles. So if I were to get one i would probably get it rebuilt. About how much would this cost? I cant make this too expensive since im earning minimum wage.

P.S. How much are all you guys paying for insurance? Im pretty young so my rates are pretty high. Right now im paying 1400yearly for my galant. Would my insurance be higher?

Thanks for the help

Guest shuyun

I am currently rebuilding an 1981 L28et enginge it has 196000 miles on it.

I am spending:

$60.00 to have it honed

$60.00 to have the block cleaned

$125.00 for a 3way valve job

$125.00 for rings

$???.00 I have new Bearings

I buy a seal kit for the motor but have not pirced them yet I suspect it to be around $150.00 for all seals.

I am geting my rajay turbo rebuilt by a frend for around $150.00 plus parts if any are needed. But a New garrett trubo is round $800.00 tops for a T3E04.

The holly carb rebuild kit is around $25.00

I am still looking for a shop to race prep and drill oil holes in my rods.

I have a budget of $900.00 for the engine rebuild.

The best advice is to call around to the shops and ask for prices on a complet rebuild.

Edit

You insurance should not be to bad it is after all a 20 year old car.

Guest Anonymous

Getting a 280zx and rebuilding the motor sounds like the best way to go about this. Does Nissan still make rings for the L28et? How much would it cost to rebuild the transsmision? Is it possible to upgrade the front discs to the 90' 300zx?

Edit: I found the answer to the question about the rings in Shuyun's post. BTW has any one fitted a BOV on their L28et? I've never seen anyone talk about it.

Keep using that seach function and you will find all the info you need. I just bought a 240 for 600 bucks needs some prep and paint and an engine. The guy that is storing it for me just bought a comple turbo engine and accessories for 100 bucks!!! if you play your cards right you could stay under budget. You arent that bad off to buy a 260 or 280 if you remove the bumpers and go fiberglass you can get the weight much closer to the 240's. Good luck once you have a zcar youll never go back.

i love those 240sx cars man, im working on two right now, and will be picking up more in the next coming months, 5 s30 cars, 4 years, its time to play with something new, but something familiar. want a ka24, in a month ill let you take your pick :evil:

Guest DaneL24

You're worrying about mileage too much. I recently disassembled a '83 280ZX L28 motor from a JUNKYARD (dash was torn out so no way to see the odometer, but 200K miles easily) and the cylinder walls had NO wear on them, the rings still sealed perfectly. The cam lobes hadn't lost any lift due to wear, the valve springs had great tension, and all the bearings looked good. Just because you have an "old" engine doesn't mean its going to break or run like crap. If you buy a Z with a motor that runs and sounds good, regardless of the miles, just get it. Whether or not you blow up a motor has mostly to do with fuel mixture, cylinder compression pressure, ignition timing, and maintenance....not mileage. You can rebuild the motor if you want to be on the safe side, but you might just end up fixing something that doesn't need to be fixed. Old engines may have some problems, but they aren't necessarily hard to fix. Same for transmissions, if the work well, just use them.

For you, just get a 280Z or 280ZX...all stock 280Z's and 280ZX's had EFI. for a turbo, just get an '81-'83 280ZX Turbo. Its not hard to learn about carburetors if you want to get a 240Z or 260Z. I mean come on...carburetors...were talking about 100 year old technology here...and they can still make a motor run great and produce good HP when tuned correctly. I have noticed that all these kids with the Civics and Integras are very carburetor ignorant...they're actually very simple, easy to tune, and easy to understand. Just go to http://www.howstuffworks.com and under "Search" type "How does a carburetor work?". That should be all the info you need.

Good luck.

Guest DaneL24

Also, there is no such thing as a KA24DET...it is only a KA24E. The KA24 has a 12 valve SOHC head...not a 16 valve DOHC head. And there were no turbocharged KA24 motors from the factory...although you could turbocharge one with aftermarket kits if you wanted to...make a KA24ET. I really see no reason to drop a KA24 motor into a Z though...would seem like more of a downgrade than an upgrade.