HybridZ

BRE 46 240Z Replica Started!!

rc's240z

True, but I don' t think Jerry Mason is about to sell his BRE Z car, the only one still in existance, and if he did I don't think many of us could afford it.

However, I have been collecting parts for years and now have enough parts to build a legitimate replica. With more authentic parts than most vintage race cars...

When it is done it will be hard to tell the difference between my car and the orginal. And I will be happy :lol:

BTW, I would really like to see photos of your "orginal" BRE roadster(s).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blownd15b

Just one of them. My uncle bought if from Mr. Robinson, the son of the man who last campaigned the car in the late 80s. If you go to http://www.datsun.org you can see for yourself the history of the car. It is definatly not in the best shape of its life. It has had a full cage now for many years. It still has the origonal blue plexiglass "winshield" and stearing wheel. All origonal gauges still intact and working. The front fenders have been flared out. And yes we do have the numbers pressed on the rollcage to prove it is the car :wink: [/url]

thanks for the link, but i could not identify which car was yours according to the registry!?!...could you be a little more specific, which chasis # or which picture is your car. There were 2 blue roadster race cars, one was #2 (blue and white) and the other was #67 (baby blue) I believe..

Do you know what number your roadster raced under orginally when it was BRE's car? was it #3? Dan Parkinson's car?

I know Les Canaday pretty well, his shop is 2 miles from where I live. He has racing number #45 which used to be the FAR performance racing roadster that was used by BRE in a commercial in the 70's and panted up like one of the original BRE roadsters. He also has one of the Bob Sharp Racing Roadsters... I am sure that your uncle will know who he is, if you don't..

Les has been a great help to my cause, finding a number of difficult parts so that I can put my car together, introducing me to John Morton, Pete Brock, Ian Brock, Jerry Mason and many others. He is a great wealth of knowledge and is very excited to see these race cars come back to life. If your uncle has not contacted Les, i would suggest that he call him at 760-940-6365.

where are you located?

Guest blownd15b

The car we own, started out life as the first car built #44 or 14 (changed mid-season I think), the origonal Frank Monise car. Now as you should know Morton did not drive the primary car their first year in , But in 1970, when the 46 car took over command, McComb renumbered it as #33. Follow this link and you should be able to see both of the cars during the 69 season.

http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/BRE1969.htm

And here is a link to when Gene Felton ran the car, right after BRE

http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/GeneFelton.htm

I have e-mailed the webmasters at the registry and they have not responded. I have been needing to get pics for some time, But I have no digital camera or scanner. I have not talked to my uncle Denis (Buck) in the past couple of weeks, but I did just leave a message on his phone. I will do my best to get pics and numbers for you. He is doing his best to get the thing race worthy again, but it is hard on such a tight budget.

We have only run one race with tis car, and unfortunatly the motor let go on about the 4th lap, and the car has been down since then.

I will do my best to get all the info you need.

It will be set up for very short on road stints, (turnsignals and licence plates) but will really be set up for track duty, 4.44 LSD, close ratio 5spd overdrive trans ("A" box gearing), and BRE built 2.4L motor (12.1 compression) with 44 Mikuni Solex carbs. I want to take it on a few short rallies here in southern california, but mostly it will do time at Fontana, Willow Springs, Vegas Motorspeedway and Phoenix..

So the answer to your question is 10% on road 90% track time.

• 2 weeks later...

More photos up on my gallery, and lots of work on the front of my car this weekend. Supports to the front strut towers, and down to the front swaybar was the order of business this weekend. NEW Photos are available at:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6336&password=&sort=7&thecat=998

Click (see all of this user's photos) to see the progress this weekend..Again Props to PDK Fabrication for their tireless efforts to do a quality job!! We will be bringing the car, (Unfinished) to The Classic Datsun Turfside Show in Escondido California this year (november 8th) for all to see.. :D:D

I will be running a BRE prepaired 2.4L Z motor with a highly modified E-31 head, bored 40 over with 12.1 compression, I dont have dyno figures so i can't tell you exact HP. But it will be a accurate representation of the original BRE #46, with Mikuni Solex Carbs, a copy of the original race header etc.

Additional tidbits include a close ratio overdrive five speed and 4.44 LSD differential.

So I am sure it will go pretty well.

I certainly appreaciate any attempt to duplicate some of the old vintage race cars. I wanted to use the R,W&B Sharp/Newman racing paint scheme on the blueovalZ, but I have modified the body to the point that the paint job would be the only thing that resembled these old Zs. I have finally hit a point in the project where I regret, somewhat, all the body modifications I done. It's an illness that I cannot control :twisted: . As soon as I finish one thing, I am compelled to start changing something else (need therapy).

Thanks Blueovalz, it is fun and challenging to recreate history, but their are limitations too.

I want to be reasonably authentic..I don't feel it is right to put some of the fun new toys in my car because they would not be in the spirit of the original car. There are times that i would like to add some of parts that would enhance the performance of this Z, but then i look at the overall goal and realize that those modifications would not be correct for the car.

I assume all safety systems will be up to currant standards? I'm glad you are going through with your project. It sounds like alot of fun. I want to build a Zcar for vintage racing someday.

• 1 month later...

Well the Roll cage is done, and the rear spare tire well has been modified for the fuel cell. I will post the finished photos shortly. Yesterday I sent the car over to be Media blasted, should have it back in a week or two. More photos forthcoming... An original BRE racing header is in the works too more info on that as it becomes available...

ok this might be a stupid question, but the 46 bre car was a white car with red tops painted on...right ? or was it a red car with white sides painted on ? I seem to recall seing that it had a white engine bay but can't find any detailed photos of interior and engine bay, got any ?