HybridZ

LS 1 question

No. The LS1 has absolutely no relationship with any previous GM engines. None. Zero.

Someone else asked about this whole starting from block thing, and we all agreed that that would be waaay to expensive. Buy a complete motor.

And also know that, as I've already stated, these motors have no relationship to the 350, so the mounting is also different. JTR won't work.

Yesterday on Ebay I saw a new 2000 LS 1 block, never used, listed at $550.00 if you wanted to "buy it now". Seemed like a good price for a new aluminum block.

My question is... can you use any SBC parts, such as crank, heads, intake etc with the LS 1 block or do you have to use LS 1 parts?

Online I found a Chevy dealer that sells the 2001 LS 1/6 block for about 1,200, much less that the other performance aluminum blocks. If it works with standard SBC parts if seems like a reasonable price for an aluminum block.

Guest Anonymous

I never noticed it before I read a article that Grumpy left, but the LS1 exhausts ports are more (*shudder*) Ford small block like, where the two middle ports don't run so close together, the headers are evenly spaced like a ford header. It makes sense though I'm sure having two exhaust ports together and the subsequent exhaust port routing was never a great idea despite it surviving for more than 40 years in the SBC.

Its a great motor specially considering its output despite actually being smaller than 350 cubes, the intake to me is similar to the Cad northstar at least visually.

Regards,

Lone