HybridZ

Where in Florida can i get my struts sectioned?!!!! HELP!!!!

Guest ON3GO

guys i need to get these done.. its holding up the whole project..

i have everything else done except that.

anybody in florida know where i can get these things done and my coilovers installed..

i have the fronts off ready to get done.. as soon as the fronts are done and the car is on the ground ill take off the rears and have them done....

anybody? i really need some help..

mike

If you can't find someone to do the whole thing, you will have to prep it yourself, then have someone weld it for you. First grind off the old spring perches, then buy your new strut inserts ( I used early 80's VW GTI Rabbit struts). You need to rent a large pipe cutter, and cut a max of 2" section or less ( if less you will need a spacer to make up the rest. i.e. 1.5 cut, .5 spacer). Your coilovers should have instructions on where the collor is welded to your strut. Then bring the whole mess to a welder and have him weld the struts back together and the collor on it. (to make sure your strut is straight when welding, use a 2" angle iron, and sit the strut in it, then weld together.)

Good luck

well i have tokico illumina struts..

i also have MSA Bump-steer spacers for 15inch wheels or larger if that means anything.

and Ross sent me a email as to what to do.. but i dont trust my welding skills on this part, it alot of money for me to mess up with..

well i have tokico illumina struts..

i also have MSA Bump-steer spacers for 15inch wheels or larger if that means anything.

and Ross sent me a email as to what to do.. but i dont trust my welding skills on this part' date=' it alot of money for me to mess up with..[/quote']

What are the Tokico struts made for? What make car? Bump-steer spacers don't work, if you want to decrease bump steer, do the JTR fix for the lower suspension arm.

Like I said bring the welding stuff to a welder.

to be honest with you im not sure.. Ross told me there for Section struts,.. i ordered them threw his website...

well even if they dont work ill still use my bumpsteer spacers..

to be honest with you im not sure.. Ross told me there for Section struts' date='.. i ordered them threw his website...

well even if they dont work ill still use my bumpsteer spacers..[/quote']

Do you have your old strut inserts out? Put your new ones next to them. To section your struts the new ones should be about 2" shorter.

well i think i have a problem...

heres a pic of the stuts insert on the floor, next to the strut...

this is the strut insert with the metal spacer on the bottom..

its soooooo much longer then the stock strut...

album_pic.php?pic_id=1497

Is that metal spacer welded to the bottom? If so the insert will not work for the front! Are you sure that is not a rear insert? They are longer. But that looks like it would be stock height for the rear. Usually for a sectioned strut, you use a VW Rabbit for the front (there are others, I can't remember) , and use the stock height front strut insert for the back, after sectioning it.

Did the same on mine. Knock the spacer off the bottom of your Tokico cartridge (pops right off), measure the difference in height between the Tokico and the stock instert and section your struts by that amount. Be careful not to section by any more than that amount.

Can't help on where to get them welded. I did my own. I'm probably taking somewhat of a chance on my welding skills. I bought my welder for my Velo Rossa project and did a lot of practicing. I did my own sub-frame connectors, floor pan sections, etc. and feel pretty comforable welding now. But, I was a little leery about welding my own struts. :roll: