HybridZ

Who sells carbon fiber supplies and materials?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest Tempe_Z

Can't add any new places as the two major suppliers for the hobbyist market are probably going to be either aircraft spruce or US composites anyway, but I do have a question.

Does anyone happen to know what the process is for gelcoating for non structural CF parts? Is it any different than what you'd use for glass or do you just use plain old clear gelcoat for CF. Would the difference in the matrix material (epoxy vs polyester) be a factor as far as adhesion? or am I just worrying about this too much?

Been thinking about making/replacing a few of my interior plastic parts but I want that deep glossy surface appearance if at all possible rather than having the CF fabric printing through on the surface. I also need something that will protect the epoxy from UV and don't want a clear gelcoat that's going to turn yellow in a year from exposure to the sun and summer heat. So if any of you composite gurus have an answer I'd appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to clarify RacerX I want to see the weave just not feel the texture of the weave on the surface. I.e. I want a clear smooth surface that's glossy that you can see the weave through but that the actual fibers are far enough behind that it doesn't imprint the texture on the surface of the part. Sounds like a topcoat after the fact is the easiest route though and with the UV protection it adds it would be the best choice anyway since epoxy and UV aren't a good combination.

• 1 month later...