HybridZ

24 valve DOHC L6 cylinder head build up start

Ok everyone I've finally gotten around to making the CAD drawings for this cylinder head. Now I've come to a wall, what valve train! I'm looking at a 7mge out of a first gen supra and also a KA24de valve train. Also the manifolds have been chosen and this head will use RB20 or RB25 turbo or non turbo. I do believe that the plug wires are going to have to be from a first gen supra and yes this will be a chain driven set up. I'll supply CAD sketches upon request. Also another thing how do I make a chain longer or where can I go to have one made. I would also like to know what you think about cam grinds I was thinking of taking the stock turbo cam and using the specs off of that to make an intake and exhaust cams but what do you think? Finally, I would like to say this is going to be a solid billet head and that any ideas or opinions are welcome this head is not just for me but everyone on this board. When I'm done with the testing this device I'll give my drawings and possibly my CAM set ups to all of you, then leaving you with the price of the billet and machining cost.

tbs[/b]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could tell you. Last time I "rolled" a chain onto an L motor (please don't flame - I had no choice) I went to a GOOD import auto parts store and they pulled out a Z chain and a Mercedes chain. The parts guy had heard of this before, so he pulled one out and it was the right one. I have no idea what motor it came off of. It does exist though. I've used it myself.

Jon

Guest Zachb55

nice drawing there, i took cad last year and got pretty good at it, im looking at automotive engineering as a major so some cad skills would probably help, and learning about the design of a head would be very useful in the future. keep us updated, please! :D

-Zach

this is the big deal that you all are talking about0d_1_s.JPG thats only a SOHC motor and if you can even find one for sale at a decient price why bother I'm building a 24 valve DOHC head for the Datsun L6 motor. I apraitate the interst in my project but lets try and stay on topic and help pick a valve train for it so I can keep on going with the CAD drawlings.

tbs

If you can get the right hook ups in China, you would not belive how cheep you can get that head sand casted...

Hogging that out from a solid block would cost a lot, and what would the block cost??

Looks like you are off to a good start, are you using AutoCAD2000? (not the best for 3D) :-D

BRAD D I would like to look into sand casting but I don't know where to start, also I'm very lucky to have autoCAD 2004 at my disposable and intellCad 2001 at home, and thank god that they transfer back and forth.

Rags your pics don't work and I would like to see what they are.

Now does anyone have any reasons why I shouldn’t use the 7MGE valve train with new valve springs? This is the valve train off of the first gen non turbo supra. I need to know now so I can hit the junkyards and buy there head and basically destroy it for the parts and specs. Then, I can start designing the ports, cambers, then that will lead to the cams journals to the new chain tensioners; that I believe I'll be taking from a KA24. Also I don't know why this topic isn't as hot to all of the z drivers with the factor L6, over on http://www.starquest.com the conquest drivers are ecstatic about a guy building a head and they even send him money, and I'm not asking for money just support and ideas but it seams like no one cares.

tbs

Well, first off I am not trying to rain on your parade turbobluestreak. But I can tell you why I, personally am not jumping up and down over this thread.

A) I have no idea what your background is, and what you know about heads, head design, or heck even producing a solid model, machine code or a feasible tool path.

B) I would think a billet head is going to be REALLY pricy.

C) Having to use JDM manifolds doesn't excite me too much.

D) From what you are showing so far, there isn't much to see yet.

Now, please don't let any of this detract from yoru enthusiasm. I think its awesome that you are undertaking this project, and likely I'm just being a cynic as usual. ;) Keep working and keep us posted... As things move along I am sure the interest will grow accordingly.

Im still watching with great interest. If this head could be produced and had for about 2000 or less I think that would nab some buyers. Whatever happened to the rb head swap??? here is a picture of the headgasket from the 280 mercedes engine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=2432743888

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Personally I think you might get further trying to figure out a way to split and sandwich two L6 heads together. As far as casting goes you might consider talking to these guys: http://www.devecchiofoundry.com, they made these heads: http://www.nvbackflow.com/engines/Heads.htm

I know those are mini-heads, but I would imagine that they would have no problem making larger products.