HybridZ

LS-1/T-56 Update

The 280 is currently in the shop getting the new 3.7:1 differential and a thorough rear suspension go over.
I was introduced to the LS-1 donor car on Tuesday. The '98 Camero evidently went spinning out of control and managed to severely ding all sides/corners of the car. We started the engine and it purred like a kitten - and it has a real 3,427 miles on it. The T-56 is out of a '99, gently used, donor car and will have the .50:1 6th gear. 
Questions:
Gauges - What do y'all recommend for the speedometer and Tachometer? Obviously the speedo & odometer need to be converted to electronic vs. mechanical and the tach needs to be for a V-8. I figured I'd convert the other gauges over to white face if that is what is available for the speedo & tach. What has been used out there so far?
A/C fittings - How did you handle the A/C lines that come out through the firewall on the drivers side of the L28? They rather interfere with a good back location for the LS-1.
Timing - No need to hate my 8-12 week schedule. It went up in smoke. Looks more like 16-20 weeks now.
More later.

Edited by Phantom

I have my motor sitting about 1/2 inch further forward than LoneStar1's - A/C fittings clear (I put a 280 system in my 240). I had similar issues on the passenger side with the heater fittings. I figured 1/2 inch was not gonna destroy the weight balance - especially since the whole engine is Aluminum.

How ya gonna make that 94 LT1 T56 work with the LS1??? The bellhousing and input shaft will have to be changed over, yes?

When looking for guages, just get ones that work with 97+ Corvettes and or 98+ FBodies. I recommend VDO. I guess lotsa people use Autometer, but I personally have had huge quality problems with the set in my truck.

I haven't started into the heater hoses yet. Might just use a right angle hose that will get clear of the engine and then come forward. Will figure out the final when doing the trial fit on the engine. I agree that an inch among friends is not going to be critical on engine placement. The key issue I'm looking at now is ensuring the shifter comes up the existing hole in the console as far back as practicable.

Let me start over on the T-56. It is out of a '94. I assumed it had the .62:1 6th. Was it between '93 & '94 that they changed the ratios?

Back to fitting to the LS-1. The '94 unit is not a cast-in-granite must use at this point. What years/models should I be looking at for full LS-1 compatability?

Thanks for the responses. This is really helping!!

Guest Anonymous

I believe you want a 97 up transmission (used in the Vette in 97, 98 the F body got the LS1 I think), for a LS1 bolt pattern which is different. And yeah, between 93 and 94 they changed, the ratio of the 94 OD in 6th is .50 . So here you go, over 200 mph, hope you have your pilots license... :D

Regards,

Lone

Ps: I'd probably go VDO too, my Autometer speedo odometer stopped working miles ago, considering what it cost, I'm not a happy camper about it.

Thanks for the tranny info.

Lone - not to worry - I'm a retired Naval Aviator. There is a saying: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots - but there are no old, bold pilots.

Reality check - the tires are rated for 150, the ground effects are probably not attached securely enough to the car to go above 150, and a stock LS-1 isn't going to to develop enough HP to get much over 165 anyway. I think I'll major on the 1500 RPM at 60 and be very happy with that.

Thanks again guys.

Hey Phantom, got your Email, but have just been way to busy lately. You'll need that t-56 from a 98 and up F-body, Corvette's use a transaxale. I kelp all my old gages except for the tach.the water temp I install the Datsun sender in the pass side head by drilling and tapping the hole the GM sender is located in on the drivers side. Leave the GM sender your computor needs it. The oil pressure sender I install in that little fitting right above the oil filter. There's a little 3/8" casting that points up that I drilled and taped and screwed the Datsun sender into, and then made a heat shield for. I have the 4L60E tranny and bought the conversion parts from JTR to make the speed-O work. You have to keep the VSS for the computor. When I sat my motor in for the trial fit their seemed to be only one location it would fit, which was all the back and low. I still had to modify the drivers side exhaust manifold, by rotating the flang 30 deg's. Also had to move the steering collum over 3/8" by routing out the hole in the firewall, and redrilling the four bolt holes. These car tend to take flight at about 160 mph. So be careful because with a 20 mph head wind and 140mph speed flight is possible!!! My AC hose's enter the car under the battery holder so their was no issue their. :eek:

Guest Anonymous

Phantom, was your handle derrived from the F-4? Cool plane, my bro used to bomb load them in nam. Anyway, just caught my eye. Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Lone

Lone:

Nope - Phantom handle came from the way I used to appear and disappear at the Z Club of Texas. I'm originally from Idaho so my Navy handle was a definitely uncool "Spudman".

Lone Star 1: Thanks for all the good info. I've already printed it out. That should definitely save some trial & error. Understand the busy part. My whle life was on hold until we got through my oldest sons wedding on June 8th. I finally have a daughter - and she's a good one!!!