HybridZ

BMW M into a Z?

240hoke

Guest mrkanda

Thanks for bringing this topic alive again, Speedalot. I have been searching for my dream project car and think I have come close to finding it. This thread is definitely helping me in that direction. Specifically I am talking about a BMW 635 or an M6 with a Hybrid engine swapped in for massive horsepower. I know that is opposite from what this thread is talking about, but I thought I had to throw it in there since I just found this site and have been meditating on this car and swap for days now.

As a fellow Nissan owner ( I own a prestine low mileage 1989 Maxima) I have been looking for the perfect car to provide me the style, usefullness (I have a family), power, driveability, and comfort that I dream of having. I almost have it with my Max, but it is limited. For starters it is FWD. It also has limited aftermarket support and mine is automatic. I dream of having a classic sports car that has more power, driveability, and exclusivity. Of course, the Z comes to mind, but then it only has two seats and the styling is not quite my cup of tea. Ideally I wanted a ER34 Skyline GTS-T Sport Sedan with a swapped in RB26DETT and possibly AWD - but that's not happening any time soon, at least not in the good 'ol US of A. So what to do!

Well, I've been looking and I think it's been severly narrowed down. First of all, I had a classic 1980 Volvo Bertone Coupe 262C that used to be my mother's and I wanted to keep and restore it, possibly transplanting the problem prone PRV-6 engine with a HO Small Block V8 or even an RB26. But then, the need for money and moving to Florida necessitated its sale.

Now I've been looking at the beautiful Jaguar XJS, which has plenty of room for a swap of any kind and is quite luxurious and exclusive. I'm still debating on that one.

Finally I've put in my sites the late 80's BMW M6 or 635CIS. They can be beautiful cars and they sound like great candidates for some serious HP upgrades.

There is one site which I hope you guys will enjoy. It is where they have perfected the implant of the infamous Supra 2JZ-GTE driveline in a number of cars, including an E30 and E36 BMW. So, I have my hopes high that they could also hook me up with the best and most reliable HP engine swap into which ever vehicle I choose. Here is their website:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/kfgroup/index.htm

I hope you enjoy it, and whatever I do I will always stay a diehard Nissan fan! Thanks.

-Mrkanda Fitch

Alachua, FL

P.S. How can I post pics on this site? Thanks.

I had the 635 which is the donor for my 70 Z. There was a guy who mentioned a SB Ford swap into his 635 on the Roadfly forum. You might do a search. Yes, great car, but restoration costs for a car that age and $ can get high. The 6 is a heavy car and not much of a back seat even for kids. They have a great suspension. I'm not sure I would go to the trouble of swapping into one though. Try a 535i, as is. Any year, I like the late 80's. More room than the 6 and maybe faster, and try to find a manual trans. That's a fine family sedan with the grunt to be fun to drive. Then think M5, or do some forced induction. I think it would be less money and lots of fun, and reliable. The problem with swaps is they are very tough to complete and can be difficult to get totally sorted out to the point to be reliable family transportation. Make your swap your personal toy, and keep the wife and kids in a safe, solid, reliable car.

• 2 months later...

I had a 2002 M3 and the motor in the car is hands down the best all around engine I have ever seen. It has a decent bottom end, just begs to be revved, and is butter all the way to the redline and beyond.I have heard that the 333hp number is low and that it is reputed to be closer to 360. Like others have mentioned it is very pricey. In addition their were some design flaws with the motor. My engine had to be replaced at 20k miles.

I'v seen a few websites where they did stories about people who were swapping Toyota Supra sixes into middle aged BMWs. Unless money is no object, for the home shop wrench monkey it makes more sense to go in that direction. A great BMW chassis with a 7MGTE or 2JZGTE motor making an easy 400hp (without even breaking a sweat or your bank account) sounds like just the ticket to me. -- Matt

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you with more cash than me...

EURO 3.2 Liter S50B32 Motor, 6 Speed Gearbox $1,525.00 (so far)

Click Me

Up for auction is a complete Euro Evo2 3.2 liter Engine and Tranmission kit from a 1997 M3 from England. Kit is complete in all respects and includes everything needed for installation into a US based M3. Complete Kit has 72000 miles on it and includes

Engine + accesories ( alternator, PS pump, water pump, exhaust manifold, intake airbox, intake manifold, HFM meter, and any other engine related accessoryt like the starter, the idle control valve , A/C Compressor etc)

2. Engine Wiring Harness , VANOS controller

3. Engine Computer I and II ( 2 computers )

4. Electrical Kit - Keys, EWS2 wiring kit, Instrument Cluster, Paperwork that comes with the car to prove maintenance and mileage, barrel, loop aerial, transmit/receive module, EWS module )

5. Six Speed getrag transmission

6. Driveshaft ( also called Prop Shaft in the UK )

7. Shifter Mechanism / assembly / Linkage

8. Cross Member Support with transmission mounts

9. Cat Convertor with oxygen sensors

10. Cat back Exhaust ( called Back Box in the UK )

11. Radiator

12 . Coolant Expansion Tank

13. Euro Coolant hoses complete

14. Oil Cooler Radiator

15. Oil Cooler Radiator Hose.

16. Euro 3 Spoke Airbag Steering wheel kit with airbag, slip ring etc

17. 6 Flange Bolt Differential ( so that the driveshaft fits without hacking it up)

65_1.JPG0b_1.JPG

Cool engine, plenty of power. Yet, the ol' school car guy in me really likes to see the actual engine with evidence that the parts have been well designed inside and out. I want to see at least a hint of the heritage of a BMW aircraft engine in my Z, polished aluminum, clean hard tubing for vacuum lines instead of rubber, nary an unnecessary wire in view, and the necessary as inconspicuous as possible. Not exactly the show hot rod look, just slick and very clean, hard not soft. I guess I haven't learned to appreciate the molded plastic covers because they soften the appearance of lean, efficient machinery. No doubt, however, that M would be a screamingly quick engine in a Z, but will probably get more expensive than I could handle. You should do it.

That's mighty nice, and an amazingly low price with all the stuff that goes with. Wish I had the dough; I'd shove one of those into my sweet, little old '76 2002, which has just come to a quiet rest. That would be one hell of a sleeper. That engine is a nice swap into a 318, and wonder why they are available at all...must be hard to keep an M3 in one piece! I'm starting to get ideas...no, no, no, mustn't even think about it. I gotta finish the Z first, and the house.

I've got to ride in some really nice BMW machinery these last few weeks, all of them lesser models with the S52 M swaps. one being my friends 1990 E30, and another being his bosses 5 series wagon. its such a smooth engine with plenty of power and on demand torque. Its a serious consideration in my head considering just how affordable this swap is becoming as more and more of these engines find their way into the market.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E46-02-BMW-M3-Engine-3-2-Complete-Conversion-Gearbox_W0QQitemZ8049837973QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Guess what? that first one is a scam...its the same style as all the other ebay scams that are going on out there, hijacked dormant account, recently reactivated. major bummer as I was seriously considering bidding.

buyer beware.

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators

MMmm Mmmm... I know the V-12 isn’t light, but it carries a lot of WOW factor and should perform quite well.

I personally would like to perform a V-12 swap into and S-30 wearing the Ferrari 250 GTO body work, like Chelles gorgeous example. A custom criss-cross ITB induction would set it off visually rather nicely…

• 3 years later...