HybridZ

240mph 240z?

Jonas240z

Try to get an R200 with a 3:15 gearset. Using an overdrive gear vs a high gear ratio diff will spin the drivetrain at a much higher RPM which obviously is undesirable at 240MPH. Using the overdriven gear also reduces the strength of the transmission. If you keep it in 4th gear or whatever gear is 1:1 your trans will probably live longer. 240MPH with relatively non-aerodynamic Z will take some serious HP, that is if you can keep it on the salt :D.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This are the number of the McLaren F1

Final gear 2.37:1

1st Gear Ratio 3.23:1

2nd Gear Ratio 2.19:1

3rd Gear Ratio 1.71:1

4th Gear Ratio 1.39:1

5th Gear Ratio 1.16:1

6th Gear Ratio 0.93:1

Power: 627 bhp @ 7400 rpm and 479 lb/ft from 4000-7000 rpm

How come the Mclaren F1 can do 0-60 in 3.2 sec with a 2.37:1 rear???

So where can i get a 3.15 LSD R200???

The thing about the aerodynamics will be pretty hard. I agree that the hardest part will be getting the car to be as aerodynamical as possible and keep it looking as stock as possible without changing the 240's beautiful body so much :? . Any suggestions other than a G-nose (i don't like it)???

The 3:15 gearset is tough to find. I know NISMO made aftermarket gears in this ratio for a while. I think you could also get 3:36 in some Z cars. As for not wanting to modify your car aerodynamically you CANNOT officially race at Bonneville or El Mirage unless you have all the safety componants in place. You may as well build a real race car if 240MPH is really your intent. Other than a G nose, you will need to drop the car as far as it will go and add a significant amout of weight to the nose of the car to keep it down. I'm talking lead weight!! As you know, weight has nothing to do with top speed, it's just takes a little longer to get there.

Reminds me of this guy who showed his 80yo dad a picture of a "flats" car, he said "dad this car will go 700 miles an hour." His dad told him time and time again NO WAY, NO HOW would any car go 700MPH. He finally threw up his hands in dispair and ask the old man WHY he didn't belive it. "Because son there ain't no road around here you can drive 700MPH on." :D

Besides the flats where in the hell are you going to drive 240 MPH, I just can't stop laughing here, my co-workers are beginning to wonder if I've lost my mind. Are you going to drive that thing up the 405 at 2AM?

Sorry I'm being closed minded here...

ds

Jonas,

In the spirit of the original founding of HybridZ - go for it! I'm sure no one here says it can't be done. What we're all saying is that it will be frickin' hard, take a lot of time and money, frustrating as hell sometimes, and well worth it when you get the time sheet.

Jonas' date='

In the spirit of the original founding of HybridZ - go for it! I'm sure no one here says it can't be done. What we're all saying is that it will be frickin' hard, take a lot of time and money, frustrating as hell sometimes, and well worth it when you get the time sheet.[/quote']

Yeah, just don't plan on doing it on your first run. Set yourself some slightly more "reasonable" goals and step your way up. Shoot for say 160 your first weekend at the flats, then maybe 180 the next year, 200 after that, 230, then finally 240.

The McLaren F1 is the culmination of decades of reasearch and millions of dollars. You cannot reasonable expect to out do that car with only 5 years of school and a couple years building your car. Your goal can be reached, but it will not happen as quickly nor as easily as you think it will be.

Yeah, just don't plan on doing it on your first run. Set yourself some slightly more "reasonable" goals and step your way up. Shoot for say 160 your first weekend at the flats, then maybe 180 the next year, 200 after that, 230, then finally 240.

That's exactly what i had in mind...and actually i was gonna try to build a 180 mph 240z first within the next 5 years just to get some experience and see what improvements must be made. I know i don't have millions of dollars to do all that technical (technologycal) research but if you think about it the Wright brothers didn't have all those technological advancements to get the first airplane in the air. They only had their brains and lots of motivations to accomplish their dream. Thanks a lot for the advise.

This is for the guy that is laughing like crazy....I want to BUILD a 240 mph 240z just for the challenge and for the heck of it! :twisted: I know i wont be driving at 240mph down 405...as well as nobody else will be doing 200 mph on the 405 either. So the point is that it does not matter if you have a Lambo or a Ferrari or a Zonda, Mclaren F1, Porsche, or whatever because most of the time you wont be able to test their top speed!

John C thanks for your support...I know there is some people that have faith! Thanks for the help.

Jonas, like John C. said "go for it" but I would like to recomend that you get some books on aerodynamics and do some reading then since you live in Huntington Beach you are close enough to contact Group Z about "helping" (start as a gopher or whatever) Andy with his record setting 2+2. Andy is the guy who owns the car John mentioned earlier in this thread.

After spending some time with the guys who are pushing the envolope for top speed on Z's then you will be far closer to realizing your own goals. One more very important thing is you better have a truly SAFE cage in any car traveling at those speeds.

Good luck on your quest.

Dragonfly

Setting a really high goal can be a great motivator for achieving what may seem unachievable. However, some things remain unachievable no matter what you do. In other words, you can't change the rules of physiques. Engines can be made to have prodigious power, drivetrain can have any gearing you desire and hard work, good planning and money can get you those. If the aerodynamics won't allow such speeds, even with g-nose (that's only a small factor), lowering, fins.... no amount of effort can change it (you can't walk on water no matter how hard you try). You can only exert so much force with 2 wheels, if the drag is too high (which it likely is) more power will just make the wheels spins. My point is not that you should drop this, but if your heart really needs a car that can do 240mph, consider picking a more aerodynamic car so you won't run into unbreakable barriers (and yes they do exists). If on the other hand your goal is to make it the fastest possible 240Z, they go for it, because if the limit is 210mph, you will still be happy and proud (which you should be). My advice is read up extensively on aerodynamics before you commit to it. That's the first rule of smart planning.

In summary can you make it the fastest 240Z ever? with hard quality work and money, very likely. Can you make it reach a speed you arbitrarily picked, not necessarily. Either way, it's nice to aim high, good luck with the challenge.

Again, thanks a lot for the advice. I'll do research and read a lot on aerodynamics since it's the biggest barrier to surpass. In my head everything is possible...the problem is that you just don't know how to get where you wanna get. If you really wanted you could walk on water...humans do not know their actual limits, if we did we would've already achieved them! That's just my opinion. I'll do all i can to get to my goal and i hope all of you guys are there (hybrid z website) when i need some help. Thanks again! :D

Oh yeah? Stick a full size grand piano in your butt. That's impossible!!! :D:D:D

I've been waiting to use that for like a year or two. A co-worker of mine used to say that all the time. :lol:

On a more serious note, RUF uses the narrowest stock Porsche body for their top speed cars, because it takes too much hp to push a widebody through the air at 200 mph.

Jon

ok dont flame me for this but you could get an S-30 z take the engine, glass, tranny infact just find one that is very rusty part it out except for the wheels and frame take it into the air with a plane and push it out of the back hey it would maybe hit 240 on the way down and you could even say it was with an N/A car :) ..sorry i wasnt being technical my comment was in good fun..good luck i say go for it..

Guest iamjackal

So glad to see this thread, I cant believe how many times Ive changed my mind about what I would like to build my car for. Top speed interests me alot and something I had looked into. My dream I would say might be doable, I just want to see 200mph someday. I almost purchased a Hayabusa streetbike for that reason alone. Glad I didnt cause Id pobably be dead. I think the guys have it right that 240 maybe unattainable in a streetable car but its nice to have a goal. Also I think the post about narrow bodies is true, much less drag. Though I will say most of the Japanese top speed cars I see are wide bodies, so that may be where you got your idea.For instance the Veilside R34 Skyline(set Record of fastest street drivenR34 with 215 in New Zealand) has a body kit. Also Japanese company TOP SECRET put together a Supra with MR2 motor and also used a wide body. Not sure why they are useing wide bodies though possibly for look as these guys have a product to sell. Anyway good luck on your dream and keep us updated.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I think this is quite funny. You mentioned that you want to be able to beat Ferrari's etc, but if you were to build a 240MPH Z the only place you would have a chance to beat a Ferrari would be on the salt flats. Heck, if you build a 240MPH Z and race it in the 1/4 or on the street I would be able to spank it without a sweat with my TRUCK! :wink:

BTW, it's not that hard to beat a Ferrari, I kept in front of one until 70MPH when I started to back off when I was in my truck. The Ferrari was a new Modena.

What kind of racing do you want to do? Did you just pick 240 because it is a 240Z? Thank god you dont have a 300ZX :P

Also, as far as aeros, maybe you should read up on CHAMP cars...

The amount of downforce is amazing -- once the car is traveling at 200 mph, there is enough downforce on the car that it could actually adhere itself to the ceiling of a tunnel and drive upside down!
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/champ-car.htm