HybridZ

Anyone ever considered using the new Chevy 4.2 (I6)?

Guest Fontouk

How strong is the r154 trans? I know they have been put behind some strong supras but I plan on putting down some big torque numbers. Just wondering were they start to fail? I have heard the solstice / colorado trans is just an updated version of the r154 (better syncros I think). I really would like to use the tko-600 or r160 its just gonna cost alot more to do. On the ecm situation I haven't researched using the factory ecm because I plan on boosting and I think the factory system will limit what I can do. I have emailed AEM to see if one of there stand alones may work, no response yet. As for pistons and rods the only for sure products out there are the ones glen self is using. The rods are aluminum pieces and you have to get eight at $2000 a set. A little over kill for what I'm trying to do. The pistons are $1000 and you also have to get a set of eight of those. Most piston and rod manufactures require that you buy so many sets before they will make them. As soon as I get a set of factory piston and rods in my hand I plan on trying to match them up to something thats already being built.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the bellhousing issue. I've been told that two dowels in the 3 o'clock and the 9 o'clock position on the Colorado bellhousing line up to those of a Chevy V8 bellhousing to within .004". Using the Chevy bell as a template, it would be pretty easy to fab up an adapter plate.

Greg

On the bellhousing issue. I've been told that two dowels in the 3 o'clock and the 9 o'clock position on the Colorado bellhousing line up to those of a Chevy V8 bellhousing to within .004". Using the Chevy bell as a template, it would be pretty easy to fab up an adapter plate.

Greg

great info thanks! What style chevy V8 bellhousing older or the ls-1 stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

Jeep 4.0 6 holers also got the r154 but in the parts world its refered to as a asin warner AX 15. If they use it in a truck it probably more than capable. remeber it not just how much torque your making its how much the vehical weights or pulls. cars don't need big heavy transmissions they can't tow much and don't weigh much, now a 1/2 ton truck with a 6000 lb tow capacity, thats 11000 lbs of weight to move thats 4 time the torque LOAD than the same trans will see in a car.

Jeep 4.0 6 holers also got the r154 but in the parts world its refered to as a asin warner AX 15. If they use it in a truck it probably more than capable. remeber it not just how much torque your making its how much the vehical weights or pulls. cars don't need big heavy transmissions they can't tow much and don't weigh much, now a 1/2 ton truck with a 6000 lb tow capacity, thats 11000 lbs of weight to move thats 4 time the torque LOAD than the same trans will see in a car.
yeah I think I'm gonna use one of the r154 based trannys. The supra tranny is pretty easy to find and usualy fairly cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/performance/163_0208_2002_chevrolet_trailblazer_twin_turbo

http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0203_chevrolet_trailblazer_turbo/index.html

I remembered that a while back GM was toying with the idea of a Twin Turbo version of the Trailblazer before the Super Sport V8 they have now. So I would like to see this swap happen.

i think he means to say that almost all honda's sport-inspired engines are inline, with the exception of the NSX series C32 engines.

therefore "nuff said" meaning, the statement he quoted was debunked.

not sure if i agree with either statement, as both were very vague to begin with.

I was actually implying that Honda and torque shouldn't be used in the same sentence. I guess I should have actually typed out a real sentence.:)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Any updates here guys? Anyone doing this swap please send me a Private message, as I have a R154 now and looking to do something with this Combo! I also have a Dealer in Dubia so getting headers or parts out of the Middle East would be pretty easy, but the Cost is out their!

A nissan TB48 4.8ltr inline 6 would run me $6000 to $8000 plus the shipping, so you can see what things cost over there!

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Give me a couple of years, until I finish my RB30DE and my car itself, and then I'll start my TB48DE build.

2010, same bat time, same bat thread. you'll come back to this thread...

yes you will...

ohhhh yes...... you..... will..

Raff

• 8 years later...