HybridZ
Guest Fontouk

Anyone ever considered using the new Chevy 4.2 (I6)?

any updates on this swap? It looks be a nice legal alternative to the rb swaps
I'm very interested in doing this swap. the engine is around 30 inches tall with the stock oil pan. I don't know the limitations height wise of the s30 chassis. Trying to do some research on getting a flywheel and my tranny options along with a few other things. I think this would make a great n/a or boosted motor if built correctly. Just not any aftermarket support so everythings gonna be custom.

Guest TeamNissan

"honda" is by no means "nuff said"

If I remember correctly my old co-workers F150 truck (92 I think) has a 4.2 liter straigh six also.... I didn't know that Chevy made a 4.2 inline 6.

the ford stright six in your co workers truck is a 4.9 300ci.

chevy has made striaght sixes since the fifteys , often refered to stovebolt sixes. chevy started with a 215. then made it a 230 then a 250. then they casted a new 250 block that they made into a 292.

Ford's made the 170, and 210. the ford 300ci has a rare Cross flow head for it with much better combustion camber design.

the chevy has siemes ports but is a reallllly smooth engine (I've owend both a 300 ford and a 292 chev)

ford 300ci as been one of there staple industrial engines for a very long time now.

I don't know about the ford but my 292 chev with factory one barrel carb, made something like 275 ft/lb's of torque at 1500 rpm.

I don't understand..

i think he means to say that almost all honda's sport-inspired engines are inline, with the exception of the NSX series C32 engines.

therefore "nuff said" meaning, the statement he quoted was debunked.

not sure if i agree with either statement, as both were very vague to begin with.

That guy is on the inliners forum and I have pm'ed him for dimensions but no response. I also asked him about info on the trans adaptor,flywheel and clutch. also no response. He cut 2.5 inches off the oil pan and after seing the oil pan and talking to glen self at self racing (the guy that built the 4.2 in the pic above) there is some more room to be cut off. esp if you go with a dry sump. I don't know how tall l28's, rb's or 2jz's are but I think you can get the 4.2's down to around 26 inches. Lots of custom parts and fabrication but thats what makes this fun. I'm in the process of figuring out transmissions. you can bolt up the r154 from the turbo supra, but I would like to get more info on the solstice/ colarado trannys they are said to be real close to the supra trans. other possibilities are the getrag r160 from the tt supras, the tko-600 or t-56. I am 98% sure I will be using this engine in my 73 240z. And will keep everyone posted on my progress.

I've read that the 4.2 is not a direct bolt up for the 3.5 / 2.8 transmissions as it has a different flywheel design. Is that true?

What have you found out for the ECM? Has a work around been made? Would like to see the cam phasing work.

requires a custom flywheel but there is a guy on the inliners forums that has had these made so that you can use the colorado clutch and trans. I just haven't decided if thats the route I'm gonna take. as for the ecm I havn't decided on that either I too hope to be able to use the cam phasing. I hope by the time I get all of this together there will be an option. esp since there are so many engines out there that have computer controled cams.

I read that there were companies that could trim down the harness's so that you wouldn't get errors, and others were working on ECM relashes.

But all that I read was that they would be able to do so in several months. The posts were several years old.

What is the news on that? Darn cheap engines, just asking for a Holset . . . .

That guy is on the inliners forum and I have pm'ed him for dimensions but no response. I also asked him about info on the trans adaptor,flywheel and clutch. also no response. He cut 2.5 inches off the oil pan and after seing the oil pan and talking to glen self at self racing (the guy that built the 4.2 in the pic above) there is some more room to be cut off. esp if you go with a dry sump. I don't know how tall l28's, rb's or 2jz's are but I think you can get the 4.2's down to around 26 inches. Lots of custom parts and fabrication but thats what makes this fun. I'm in the process of figuring out transmissions. you can bolt up the r154 from the turbo supra, but I would like to get more info on the solstice/ colarado trannys they are said to be real close to the supra trans. other possibilities are the getrag r160 from the tt supras, the tko-600 or t-56. I am 98% sure I will be using this engine in my 73 240z. And will keep everyone posted on my progress.

Yes, you can definitely use an R154 to hook up a 4200 using the Colorado/Canyon bellhousing. The issues you'll have to figure out are what gear ratio's you want to use and where you want the shifter. Solstice shiifter is farther back than the R154.

7127d1140045568-engine-swap-bellhousings-shifter_loc1.jpg

Greg

4200_R154_2_thumb.jpg

How strong is the r154 trans? I know they have been put behind some strong supras but I plan on putting down some big torque numbers. Just wondering were they start to fail? I have heard the solstice / colorado trans is just an updated version of the r154 (better syncros I think). I really would like to use the tko-600 or r160 its just gonna cost alot more to do. On the ecm situation I haven't researched using the factory ecm because I plan on boosting and I think the factory system will limit what I can do. I have emailed AEM to see if one of there stand alones may work, no response yet. As for pistons and rods the only for sure products out there are the ones glen self is using. The rods are aluminum pieces and you have to get eight at $2000 a set. A little over kill for what I'm trying to do. The pistons are $1000 and you also have to get a set of eight of those. Most piston and rod manufactures require that you buy so many sets before they will make them. As soon as I get a set of factory piston and rods in my hand I plan on trying to match them up to something thats already being built.

On the bellhousing issue. I've been told that two dowels in the 3 o'clock and the 9 o'clock position on the Colorado bellhousing line up to those of a Chevy V8 bellhousing to within .004". Using the Chevy bell as a template, it would be pretty easy to fab up an adapter plate.

Greg

On the bellhousing issue. I've been told that two dowels in the 3 o'clock and the 9 o'clock position on the Colorado bellhousing line up to those of a Chevy V8 bellhousing to within .004". Using the Chevy bell as a template, it would be pretty easy to fab up an adapter plate.

Greg

great info thanks! What style chevy V8 bellhousing older or the ls-1 stuff?

Jeep 4.0 6 holers also got the r154 but in the parts world its refered to as a asin warner AX 15. If they use it in a truck it probably more than capable. remeber it not just how much torque your making its how much the vehical weights or pulls. cars don't need big heavy transmissions they can't tow much and don't weigh much, now a 1/2 ton truck with a 6000 lb tow capacity, thats 11000 lbs of weight to move thats 4 time the torque LOAD than the same trans will see in a car.

Jeep 4.0 6 holers also got the r154 but in the parts world its refered to as a asin warner AX 15. If they use it in a truck it probably more than capable. remeber it not just how much torque your making its how much the vehical weights or pulls. cars don't need big heavy transmissions they can't tow much and don't weigh much, now a 1/2 ton truck with a 6000 lb tow capacity, thats 11000 lbs of weight to move thats 4 time the torque LOAD than the same trans will see in a car.
yeah I think I'm gonna use one of the r154 based trannys. The supra tranny is pretty easy to find and usualy fairly cheap.

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/performance/163_0208_2002_chevrolet_trailblazer_twin_turbo

http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0203_chevrolet_trailblazer_turbo/index.html

I remembered that a while back GM was toying with the idea of a Twin Turbo version of the Trailblazer before the Super Sport V8 they have now. So I would like to see this swap happen.

i think he means to say that almost all honda's sport-inspired engines are inline, with the exception of the NSX series C32 engines.

therefore "nuff said" meaning, the statement he quoted was debunked.

not sure if i agree with either statement, as both were very vague to begin with.

I was actually implying that Honda and torque shouldn't be used in the same sentence. I guess I should have actually typed out a real sentence.:)

Guest TAyres

Whatever happened to this? Any new info at all?

Any updates here guys? Anyone doing this swap please send me a Private message, as I have a R154 now and looking to do something with this Combo! I also have a Dealer in Dubia so getting headers or parts out of the Middle East would be pretty easy, but the Cost is out their!

A nissan TB48 4.8ltr inline 6 would run me $6000 to $8000 plus the shipping, so you can see what things cost over there!

Kevin