HybridZ

TINTED HEADLIGHT COVERS A NO NO IN TEXAS?

Corzette

Guest Fontouk

If you can and do remove them at night, shouldn't be a problem. I mean, there are still alot of cars with "pop-up" headlights (late model Firebirds for one). You can also get by if you can prove the following (from Texas.gov statues) and pass.

§ 547.302. Duty to Display Lights

(a) A vehicle shall display each lighted lamp and illuminating device required by this chapter to be on the vehicle:

(1) at nighttime; and

(2) when light is insufficient or atmospheric conditions are unfavorable so that a person or vehicle on the highway is not clearly discernible at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead.

(B) A signaling device, including a stoplamp or a turn signal lamp, shall be lighted as prescribed by this chapter.

© At least one lighted lamp shall be displayed on each side of the front of a motor vehicle.

(d) Not more than four of the following may be lighted at one time on the front of a motor vehicle:

(1) a headlamp required by this chapter; or

(2) a lamp, including an auxiliary lamp or spotlamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

I don't think it's a good thing to have them on at night, especially in a small town. Your car draws enough attention that you might get pulled over even if everything's legal on it! One thing you might consider is attaching the covers with a set of those tiny rare-earth magnets you can get at Radio Shack. I've heard they're quite strong, and as long as you don't have fiberglass headlight buckets you may be able to attach them securely, but pull them off when you're driving on the street at night. Yeah it's a pain, but so is getting pulled over by Johnny Law in Texas!

We used to have an 82 ZX with the smoked headlight covers, but we had to remove them at night when using the car. No big deal, our covers only had one screw to remove. 8) As far as getting pulled over for having them during the day, never happened. Of course they just passed a bunch of new laws as recently as a couple of months ago, now you cant even have license plate brackets that block small parts of your plate. So all i can say is beware. :shock: