HybridZ

'73 240z wiring problems

Guest dvlax28

Guest dvlax28

Hey I just got my orange '73 240z. The previous owner raced it and took bad care of it, so i rescued it for $2500 and I'm just fixing it up a little. The wiring is a mess. It has electronic ignition and electric fans that aren't even connected right now. The only thing running off the engine is the alternator, guess he wanted it to have more power.

So my question is, where can I find pictures, or schematics of the wirings? I really have no idea where to start. What books, websites would help me know 1) what equipment to use when wiring 2) the scheme, or diagrams on wiring locations 3) any other wiring help ?

It has a 280zx engine, Carter AFB Competition Series 4-barrel carburetor, and cam that I don't know much about. any information on how I can tackle this wiring deal would be awesome.

Jason

Guest bastaad525

Haynes Manual, cheap and easily available (any autozone should have it) has wiring diagrams but they can be kinda hard to make out clearly. Or better yet, Nissan Factory Service Manual. You can even pick this one up on CD now instead of the huge book, and look up or print out stuff as you need. I haven't got one of these personally but I hear they are THE source for just about anything and everything you would need to know about your car.

The wiring on 240's is very simple, we're lucky there, unfortunately we 240 owners are almost all in the same boat of having varying degrees of electrical problems with these cars, mostly just due to age. Melting fuse boxes, shorted out light switches, you name it. Some of that stuff can be real expensive to replace. Personally it drives me nuts because I've always hated/been bad with electrical stuff... if you're good with wiring and dont mind getting your hands dirty you should have no problem getting it all in working order.

Guest dvlax28

nissan factory service manual? is there one that i can buy that is JUST for 240z's? like could i buy one at the checker auto parts near me? can you explain more about this service manual because the owner gave me a Haynes "datsun 240z, 260z & 280z" "1970 thru 1978" "automotive repair manual" but i don't know if thats is the best thing to use.

thanks

Jason

Guest bastaad525

Nissan factory service manuals are specific to the year and model of the car, so you would get one that is JUST for the '73 240z. You have to get it from nissan or you can buy one from someone else that is selling theirs, regular auto parts stores wont have it. I'm not sure which diagram you would look at in the haynes manual but I"m gonna guess it's the 'basic' one.