HybridZ

Car died on first run from 6 year retirement

Hi, back in 2002 I i aquired a 280zx '79 that had a bad tranny. Couple months ago i found room to roll the Z into the garage (Jr,'s car off to college) :-D and completed the rebuild. All went well with the rebuild. Started her up today after re-lubing the cylinders, backed her out of the garage (first time uder power for the Z in almost 6 years) :shock: started heading down the driveway for a test run and she quit. Tried to restart but no go..... I cannot hear the fuel pump running anymore. My question is, is it the fuel pump or relay or some of the other components. Im not sure where to start. hehe no pun intended.

thanks in advance!

ps.... this site and all that share their knowledge has assisted me greatly!

Well, I've got a Haynes Manual for the 79-83 280zx, and I'll have a look throught the trouble shooting section for you. But for starters, does the engine rotate/crank at a high enough speed? A low charg in the battery would do this. Also, if the alternator is going, it wont charge the battery properly, and then the battery will die slowly (or vice versa; battery not holding charge will kill alternator from constatly charging/running the engine) If there is good battery charge, the starter rotates the engine proberly, and the alternator is good, check the fuse panel for anything burnt out, and under hood in the relay box (plastic cover with 6 or 7 relays in it if I remember corectly..) for any obvious problems.. I'll let you know what I can find in the manual.

Thanks D. I too have the Haynes but havent come across how to troubleshoot this. I do have good battery and alternator.... cranks good on the key. Is there any component that will shut down the fuel pump other than the relay? I can go get a new fuel pump and see if that is the problem but hate to find out that it is not and go back to the ole drawing board.

I'd check the relay first, their cheaper to replace. Also you could check the voltage to see if the fuel pump is getting any juice before replacing it. You could also run a hot wire from the battery to the fuel pump to bypass the relay for testing.

Thanks Zen, low and behold in was not the fuel pump after all, I was not getting power to my FP (no power at the plug under carpet in back) :? my bad. I just checked all connections in the car by pulling cleaning and repluging all connections. I am currently rebuilding the dizzy, breaker plate bearings are not where they should be and vaccum advance not working, next will be brakes, the parking brake cable is seized. I just need to hold my horses and do all the basics.

Thanks to all!