HybridZ

L28 ENGINE COMBO QUESTIONS.

Guest bigjim240z

Guest bigjim240z

OK, about 4 years ago i spoke with a guy from a comapny called jg engine dynamics in la somewhere. we were discussing an engine combo that i planned on building but never did. here is the combo he told me would perform very well. l28 block (he told me to use an n42 block, but we all know the f54 is better) l28 crank, l24 rods, nissan pick up z24 pistons. bore the block 120 thou to accept the z24 pistons. he said to use a n42 head, but i have a performance built e31 with large valves and big cam. i used the L engine calculator and have come up with some questions. there isnt a piston in the program called a z24, theres a lz24 and a ka24. with the above combo and the lz24 i only get a compression ratio of 7.79 and have a negative 8.52 deck clearance. so the piston will be in the hole -8.52? with the ka24 piston i get 9.16 compression ratio and the piston is the same on the deck clearance -8.52. this all adds up to 2949cc. is this worth building? i have everything except the pistons. i have a good machinist who can bore the block for me cheap. with the e31 will there be much performance gains over an l28 flat top piston motr, or will the gains be so insignifcant i shouldent bother with it? thanks for any advice.

Guest bigjim240z

you know i think your right, he specifically said a nissan pick up truck motor from the mid 80's. ill start searching for them, see what i can find. thanks.

If you're in the market to build a motor, might I suggest using VG30E pistons and maxima desiel rods? If you got the VG30E pistons in a +1mm size, you could have an 88mm bore. the maxima deisel rods are 140mm in length, which would give you a rockin rod/stroke ratio. but, you'd need to get some bushinngs made for the small end as the deisel pins are 25mm in diameter, vs. the VG30 at 21mm like all the rest of nissan motors. but, this is good, because you could get them off set bushed by 2mm so you would have a 0 deck height instead of +2mm. I think it could be made to work pretty decent.

McAdam