HybridZ

LS1 ers Update Your Progress

I would like to find out where everyone is on there project and what are there present struggles.

engine: I have engine mounting done,

tank: I will cut the spare out and use camaro

electrical: almost done

trans: t56 need mounting

drive line: I will remount diff for no vibs and use ???

dash: none or custom with camaro pod

Cyrus,

Not doing LS1 (LT1), but as for T56 mount, the one I made up for mine leaves a goodly amount of room for exhaust routing. Just a idea if you have the equipment to fab one, or something similar. I found it to be a better design (space wise at least) than the JTR mount.

Here are some pics.

Tim

I went a similar route with my trans mount - up in the tunnel and out of the way vs. the JTR method which has that flat piece of steel all over and in the floor.

There's pics on my site. I basically just bent up a piece of 1/8 inch steel bar, trial and erroring it up into the tunnel. When I had a good shape that put a mount point under the trans mount, I welded the re-enforcements in. Then I re-enforced the tunnle where the mount bolts to. Then I drilled holes thru both (4 in all) and then welded some nuts on the outside (passenger compartment) of the tunnel holes. It's not super easy to install, since I sort of made it an exact fit - the holes have to be lined up so that the bolts can thread which is a pain.

At this point, I have switched from auto to T56 and I have yet to put it back in the car. I'm pretty worried that the mount point will not match up. The FBody has different trans cross members for auto vs T56 :(

My other remaining puzzle is the ECM mounting.

Jeremy,

I mounted my ECM with a bungy cord on a pad of rubber (doormat type with the holes in it) on the tunnel, just forward of where the stock fuse block would mount. Although it sounds hokey, it actually works very well. (can take pics if at all interested).

As for the T56 mount....your's may still work. I made mine to mount to a 200 4R originally, and found that the T56 mount was in the exact same location. I have a feeling the 700R4 is the same too, so you may get away with it.

Tim

I am going at a snail's pace because of other priorities (new baby etc.) right now. However, I have finished a few things.

1) LS1 mounted

2) Ford power steering rack mounted

3) Headers completed

4) Camaro fuel tank installed

Left to do:

1) Fuel lines

2) A/C . . . going aftermarket

3) Sort out Camaro wiring and install

4) Install Camaro pod in a custom dash

5) Trans mount

6) Driveshaft

7) Swap in the R200 diff.

Things I will do once the car is running:

1) Finish the Velo Rossa Spyder kit. 1/3 complete now.

2) 5 lug conversion with better brakes.

3) Interior etc.

Guest jdllaugh

Talk about moving at a snail's pace! I finally have the car stripped of everything but the paint. If it un unbolts or unglues, it's on a shelf or on the floor.

Now I'm am in the process of thinking and worrying about repairing the #@%$! rust. cry2.gif

Basically I have to replace the floors, the area under the battery, and the rear deck just above the tail lights. I also want to put in subframe connectors.

Once that's all done, I will be ready to begin the install process. I knew I should have waited to buy the LS1 engine/tranny. They've basically been a toe-thumping obstacle in my garage for 4 months now! twak.gif

Made huge progress on the conversion today. Lone Star 1 came by the shop and gaves us the opportunity to thoroughly crawl his car and see what he has done. It is one sweet conversion. He was able to keep the stock Datsun motor mounts and use them for one end of the LS-1 mounts. He used the stock LS-1 exhaust manifods and routed the exhaust down both sides to the back of the transmission to a 'y' collector and then out the stock exit spot. Missed his oil filter, starter, etc. Kept his air-conditioning functional and kept all the stock Datsun gauges except the tach.

Everything was nicely done and well thought out. He has a very creative external fuel pump,filter, pressure regulator set-up that evidently works very well. He's set a real standard for LS-1 conversions. I only hope mine turns out as well.

Thanks Lone!