HybridZ

Anyone ever install or info about RB26DETT on a Z31?

Guest miloz31

I've been fabricating custom Z's for about 30 years (still have my first car,240-Z 1970' ) and after watching threads for years now I started what I hope to be my favorite project of them all.

I've taken two of my rust free chasis (early Z bodies) and begun to cut one car directly down the middle,lenghwise.The plan is to add an 8" welded section to widen the cabin elbow room and of course give the final appearance of stance I've always craved.Obviously the resourced powerplant of choice is the RB26DETT using the all wheel drive system and also using ZG flares to enable a set of 13" or wider 3-piece wheels.

I travel a great deal in my job and everything is in place and ready to set into motion.(I'am so stoked )I've done virtually every combination of L-series build you can make and am finally bored with that angle.

So here we go...anyone interested ? comments ?

Vince :-D

Guest FinalRights

I'm trying to talk to McKinney Motorsports and see if there mount kit for the 240sx/rb26dett swap would work if I put a ka crossmember in the z31. From the few pictures I have of an empty 240sx engine bay,the crossmembers look almost identical. I'm going to see if any local 240 owners have an extra one lying around,or know where I can get one for cheap.

Guest FinalRights

McKinney Motorsports is developing a set of motor mounts as we speak. They said they will have a set finished by atleast May. Hopefully,they will be on sale not long after that. The set will allow you to keep the twin turbo set-up aswell.

• 2 weeks later...
McKinney Motorsports is developing a set of motor mounts as we speak. They said they will have a set finished by atleast May. Hopefully,they will be on sale not long after that. The set will allow you to keep the twin turbo set-up aswell.

I hope that this kit does not look as bad as the rb26dett kit they have for the 240sx. That stuff looks like a kid in shop class fabbed it, then welded it up with scrap parts.

We make our own mounts here. We have not yet done an RB in a 240z, but we did an SR in a 72 240z. It came out bitchen!!

I will post pics for those that want.[/img]

Ok guys' date=' I am new at the Z thing but I am confused, what is RB26dett, vg30dett, etc.

Can someone shed some light on this for me.

Valmeida[/quote']

The RB26dett is a 2.6L twin cam, twin turbo motor that came in the Skyline car (USA didn't get them imported)

The VG30dett is the Z32 Z car motor (90-96)

Because the RB26DETT tranny has a transfer case built-in....

Custom mounts are cheap, you will need to either fabricate a sump, get a 200ZR unit, or modify an R32/32/A32 etc. unit. You will then need a Skyline or Cefiro RB20/25 gearbox, not from a GTS4 of either (they are RB20DET 4WD). Be aware that the RB25 box is slightly larger than the RB20 box.

If the turbo get's in the way, get a high-mount kit for it.

:lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vince,

You asked if anyone is interested, I'd have to ask, who isn't interested?!

That sounds like one hell of an involved project. The metal fab in widening an entire car is super labor intensive and the work must be done with care and precision.

I would really like to see some pics and am curious if anyone has completed the AWD swap without putting the RB towers into the 240z body ala the foreign sites...

TR

Vince' date='

You asked if anyone is interested, I'd have to ask, who isn't interested?!

That sounds like one hell of an involved project. The metal fab in widening an entire car is super labor intensive and the work must be done with care and precision.

I would really like to see some pics and am curious if anyone has completed the AWD swap without putting the RB towers into the 240z body ala the foreign sites...

TR[/quote']

At the time of that writing/typing I had no verbal agreement with Dave and Art of Z SPort Mag. regarding the project details and images.

I do now, so all I will say is that the sheet metal fab work is indeed challenging and not as simple as dropping in other sheet metal from a donar car an "Walah "....widened Z. It requires much more than that. Two styles of jigs working together, a very detailed premeasured schematic of old and new measurements for pick-up points and structure.

There are several ways to skin a cat but I'm going about this in ways that reveal several factors and goals.....not just to be RB powered and AWD and wide.

I essentually want to provide the designs and final product that I had ALWAYS felt the S30 would evolve into if the original folks were still aggressively trying to re-introduce the Z into todays market and be on top.

So the RB-Z awd Widebody is really going to be nothing more than my vision coming to life.

If I do my craft well, and manage to be satisfied when done....I'll smile...and probably never build another car due to the exhausting nature of this project.

There's more to life than these damn cars........I just havent got ahold of it yet.

..............Vinny