HybridZ

1973 240Z Ford 289c.i. conversion

Guest naturalkav

Unfortunately there are no "kits or plans" for the Ford install that I am aware of. Many here who have the Ford install have done so within their individual design parameters, so there are almost as many methods as there are conversions for the SBF. Member "alsil" has made and sold motor mounts for the SBF I believe. I solid mounted my 289 being it was being raced at the time, but the solid mounts have posed no problem for the street duty the car now sees.

Naturalkav,

There aren't any "kits" available to install a small block Ford into a Z. Al Silvera (alsil on this site) makes an engine mount cross member that bolts to the frame rails to install a ford into a Z. In fact I was going to use one to put a 302 into my Z until I ran across a great deal on an LT1.

When the search functions of this site are working again so a search of the Ford V8 forum for alsil and mount options and you'll get lots of usable info. If you are serious about putting V8 into your Z then be sure to get the JTR swap manual, it is Chevy slanted but is still very useful.

I did a bunch of research on the Ford swap and found that the major things to watch for are steering rod clearance and hood clearance if you use the stock EFI manifold. The steering rod issue can be solved by using a u-joint but the EFI issue is more difficult.

The following link is Alsil's personal web site. He has since sold the car but maintains the site as reference material for all of us. This site is a must see for Ford swaps.

http://zcar.netdojo.com

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Ken W.