HybridZ
silicone boy

EZ SBC turbo manifolds

wheelman    17

Silicone Boy,

You want to think twice about using exhaust piping on your intake unless you have it coated. The last thing you want is corrosion to form in your intake down stream of the air filter(s). Have the piping ceramic coated or use stainless if you can find it.

Just a thought.

Ken W.

Guest the_dj   
Guest the_dj

If the driver's side turbo is backwards, I could put the air filter on a very short stainless pipe (no noise reduction from the turbine) with a k&n directly under the hood vent on that side. No need to run the filter to the front, and it would sound wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicked!!!

silicone boy    16
If the driver's side turbo is backwards, I could put the air filter on a very short stainless pipe (no noise reduction from the turbine) with a k&n directly under the hood vent on that side. No need to run the filter to the front, and it would sound wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicked!!!

I was just thinking that last nite. That would be cool, literally.

As for ceramic coating, it's one of the staples around my garage. Love the stuff. I get it from Techline Coatings and it goes on really nicely.

Also, Turbomeister-please feel free to chime in since you've done this already

I really like the looks and placement of your LT1 turbo exhaust. Do you have enough clearance to face both compressors forward and thus open a straight shot for fresh air ? This would also give a less twisted path for downpipes. My twin Turbo setup would not work with your manifolds because my turbos are physically too large to fit. That's why I placed them in front of the engine. Remember I'm only using them because they were free from a friend. Otherwise, I would have used smaller ones. I'm checking out your progress because you could be the source for a whole bunch of Twin Turbo Chevy engines. Keep it up.

Hanns

PaulR    0

Hey Silicone Boy, any updates your TT installation? I picked up a set of those Corvette manifolds and really like the way they fit when mounted "up-side-down". Looks like you came up with a very neat solution. Did you have any trouble welding the turbo flange to the manifold? I'm not an expert on welding, but I thought welding to cast iron was difficult to do. BTW, I've also seen aftermarket replacement (bolt in) tube style headers for these manifolds.

30056.jpg

Hooker (pn 2061) and SLP (Part No.: 30056) both make them and sell for about $350 to $400. Quite a bit more expensive, but they may flow a little better and be easier to modify/weld. Keep up the good work!

Paul

Guest Blazer406   
Guest Blazer406

I'm dieing to see the headers on the engine.... Please update or re-hyperlink to your pictures..... PLEASE!!!! :twisted:

silicone boy    16

Paul,

I accidently bought a pair of those earlier TPI Vette headers, and they didn't work for me upside down. Maybe because it was because I have taller valve covers. Anyway, as far as welding cast iron, I didn't have that much trouble. Either that or I don't know what I'm doing. It looks OK and there are no cracks.

As for updates, I'll post new pictures this weekend. I've been making downpipes and they look really cool. I had to face the exhaust outlet forward and curve the downpipes forward and down before going back out again. Kinda looks like a giant wooly mammoth's tusks. The compressors are towards the firewall side. The air intake will be going towards the hood inspection hatch, per DJ's suggestion. I can make a cold air box here if I get the vented hatches, or I can even fab up a ram air box. We'll see.

Guest Blazer406   
Guest Blazer406
Paul' date='

As for updates, I'll post new pictures this weekend.[/quote']

Cummon..... the suspense is killing me...... where are the pics? :roll:

Guest Vashe   
Guest Vashe

Hrm, maybe i'm on drugs or something, but how well would one upside down and one rightside up work? Just a idea for placement and such, prolly been thought of. My $.02 :)

Guest Blazer406   
Guest Blazer406
Paul' date='

As for updates, I'll post new pictures this weekend. [/quote']

Can you email me the pics?

[email protected]

Guest the_dj   
Guest the_dj

I have a couple of concerns after a bit more thinking:

1) With the intake right under the hood vents, I worry about rain or someone pouring something in the engine bay through them and having it go straight into the compressor and engine. I'm entertaining a couple of possible solutions.

2) I'm working with the internal wastegates, but if you decided to use an external one, I'm not sure that threaded plug would be the best idea. It seems to me it would bleed off the middle ports much more than the outer ones, leaving different pressures and flow amounts from the different cylinders. Wouldn't that be a bad thing?

Guest Blazer406   
Guest Blazer406

I got tired of waiting for any pics....... so I ordered some used manifolds off of a '95vette on eBay. Ended up with about $70 shipped in the pair. Now I need to procure 2 '99 or later Ford Powerstroke turbos. They appear to be a great match for a 383 to make about 1000 hp. I'm hoping I can get 700 RWHP on pump gas on my combo when it all comes together. That ought to be hairy in a "street" car. :twisted:

The 1000HP goal will have to be on race gas I am sure.

Guest Stert   
Guest Stert

let me get this straight.....this os on an LT1....not an LS1?

i was planning on putting the 6.0 truck motor (same block as LS1 from the f-bodies) and maybe trying to get one of those STS rear mounted turbos set up in the datsun.

but now with this just in i am starting to change my mind and maybe go for an LT1 and go from there once i can get it in the car and running, then i can build it for some boost.

how many cubic inches are people going with in their LT1's safely? i good safe number?

because i want more than stock cubes, since it will be a street car and i dont want all my power to come from a turbo, i want to keep the compression a little bit higher so i can keep drivability in lower rpm range......so i was going to build a 408 from the 6.0 so i was wondering what guys have been doing with the LT1.

i dont want a huge stroke tho.

RebekahsZ    106

My local drag racing fabricator charges about $800 to make a set of custom headers. When it is time to turbo, I will likely use him rather than fight the plug clearance issues and chassis clearance issues that off-the-shelf headers so often have. $800 to a local craftsman beats $200 to China plus $600 of cussing every time. Don't neglect to check you local recourses. China gets lots of my money, but hopefully only when it makes sense.