HybridZ

NA 3.1L=>head & camshaft questions. No shortcuts, max

zredbaron

Thanks guys! Yes, to be clear, I intend to share everything. The numbers, the graphs, the media. It's an open project.  :)

Figured I'd share this surprising find: type "Weber 45 dcoe venturi" into Amazon.com and voila! $17 each! Doesn't qualify for Prime shipping, but does allow for intelligent mass shipping.

Wow, select DCOE parts fulfilled by Amazon?

(Still stuck on wow....)

• 2 weeks later...

At lunch with Jon. Slow progress.

My headers and merge collector don't fit. The engine dyno's mounting setup just doesn't fit. The good thing is I can compare my L6 to others with the same header. The drawback is of course true tuning and comparison of engine to chassis dyno will be difficult.

We've had 3 freeze plugs pop out. Suspecting the loose driving belt.

Thus far showing 270hp / 250 ft lbs on the baseline. Their headers, the 40mm carbs, and all timing/jets untouched from the previous build.

Thank you gentlemen! It's been a long road indeed... Thank you all for your collective input, enthusiasm and encouragement!

Haha! Loved the surprise commentary at the end, Jon! Your YouTube channel then appropriately played your video of jet tuning with very satisfying V8 throttle blips. Can't wait to hear our cars on track!

Well, gang, I sincerely apologize for the cliffhanger disappearance by yours truly. I thought I made a mid-day post at lunch via my phone with numbers and pictures, but evidently that didn't successfully post. Whoops.

The final numbers were 297hp and 253 ft-lbs torque with a very nice set of torque and power curves. [insert restricted exhaust comments, here!] Haha. The three plots are comparative performances of 40 DCOE (36mm) and 45 DCOE (36, 40mm). Not a huge change between venturi plots in same DCOE. (More details to come.)

Without further ado... here are some pics while I type up the details! Big congratulations and thank you to Joe for a fine engine assembly and catching a number of incompatible parts along the way! Thanks again for coming out for your support, Jon!

post-657-0-02326200-1475964258_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-13847300-1475964264_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-01968300-1475964270_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-88529300-1475964275_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-73530300-1475964281_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-44651200-1475964286_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-93772100-1475964291_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-05453000-1475964297_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-15414100-1475964303_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-75455100-1475964308_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-76834400-1475965056_thumb.jpg

Edited by zredbaron

You are welcome This thing took a long time.. Everyday I started to wonder if we would ever finish with all the little issues along the way. I felt very bad that everytime we turned around some little or big issue would let us down.. This thing has been measured sonic tested crack tested off set bored, cylinder head has been welded match ported back to original sunbelt design..  I look forward to a day on the chassis dyno to do the final setup and optimize the setup for your sport. 

Great stuff. Thanks for all the effort and sharing it. I agree, very surprising info regarding the small difference between the 40s and 45s. 10% difference at 7k and around 7% or less at 6200 and under. Not to mention and air flow does not start falling off the 40s until near 7K. Better than I thought was going to happen. I have 40s with 36mm chokes and been kicking around the idea of 45s like most folks.

From this Dyno run its certainly minimal from a cost persepcitive not to mention street driving action.

I went back through posts and I don't see the head is ported correct? Just flow matched to the intake, JE pistons and coating.

When you get a chance can you post the jets used for the test?

Edited by steve260z

Congrats, must feel great to have it up and running, and so far no big issues *knocks on wood*.  I bet you'll be smiling from ear to ear once you have it in the car and are out on your first drive!  

I'd look into buying some better air horns for those 45's by the way - I've read of people getting more HP with no horns, rather than the terribly designed ones that come with the carbs.  From all the reading I have done, a full radius mouth seems to be the way to go.  Techno Toy Tuning makes some decent ones.

If you don't mind sharing, what do you have your XDi set to for timing?

Can't wait for your next update!  

Congrats Mark!  

A couple of questions:  

1.  Looks like all of your exhaust valves were hitting the pistons (looks like hitting them hard).  Did you conclusively determine the cause?  Was your timing chain off one tooth, like happened to me?  Or, were the Ex. valves hitting the pistons for another reason?

I have learned that the Sunbelt cam we are both using (the .565" gross lift one) was developed for use with titanium valves.  My engine builder knows the guy that owned Integral Cams and worked on the development of our camshaft with Jim Thompson (formerly of Sunbelt).  As you know, the AVG3E-L6SPR spring from Jim Wolf Technologies is the correct valve spring for use with the cam, and it has a very light (by comparison with most others) installed and max compressed loads.  This spring is handling the additional weight of stainless steel valves, and chrome moly retainers if you are running those. Perhaps valves were floating and hitting the pistons?  

2.  What ever happened regarding the "reversion" area of the rpm band?  Were you able to address it at all?  When I was trying to do my dyno pulls (chassis dyno), the operator was telling me to go full throttle from 2k RPM in 4th gear and the engine simply wouldn't do that.  It would just choke up and go dog rich.  Same thing in third.  How were you able to do "full range" RPM pulls to get your power charts, and do you have any of the AFR charts for those runs?

3.  Are you running stock main cap bolts?  My engine builder doesn't care for them.  He says they are too big and don't stretch like they should to achieve proper fastening.

4. You are still running race fuel, right?

5.  And I guess I missed it, but what was the most direct cause of the latest engine failure - debris sucked into chamber #1?

Garrett

Edited by inline6