wheels

I have now bought:

a tanabe downpipe

massive extra thick griffin radiator,

a set of supra non turbo rims and tires

apexi avc-r boost controller

a greddy bcc boost cut controller

hks sequential blow off valve

I might make a custom cross member like on my blue ls1 240z (Amir...,Darius..., where are you? Send pics!)

or I may try to custom make forward mounts off of the 2jz-gte, this may be hard because I want to retain AC.

I am going to mount the supra rear IRS (I have a 1994 viper rear suspension, too, but i think it is too heavy duty) in the Z too.

Anyways I am in Hayward, CA and cannot locate a straight non rusty 240Z. Any help is appreciated...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Cyrus, I too have aquired a 2JZ-GTE drivetrain. It finally arrived this week from Minnesota after waiting 3.5 months...Grrr... :x

Anyway, all is now good in who-ville.

Here are the specifics on what I have and am doing...

The bottom end was refreshed and has only 200 miles on it since rebuild. It was used in a Toyota pick-up drag truck. With a T-72 turbo at 28 psi, the truck dyno-ed 679 RWHP.

I figure if I am going through the trouble of installing the drivetrain, I will not want to pull it apart right away. The head was not refreshed at the same time as the engine (found out afterdoing a leak down check ... Grrr again...), so I am refreshing the head, doing a little light porting, polishing, and adding a set of aftermarket cams (either 264's or 272's). I will be running the n/a 5-speed (until it breaks) and a 700 ft-lb sintered iron clutch (came with my drivetrain). The previous owner was running SDS, as will I (already installed in my car for the L28, so should just be plug-n-play for me). The drivetrain also included an unorthodox underdrive pulley (SDS magnets already installed), ported intake, dual feed -8 a/n fittings feeding 87 lb injectors and all accessories (alternator, starter, etc). It did not include turbo(s), but I wanted to go a little bigger anyway, probably a T-78.

I am putting an L28 back into the car for the next SEZS event (because it took so long for the engine to arrive), but plan on beginning the swap after returning from Reynolds in March. If you get to the engine mounts before I do, lemme know how you decide to do them. If I get to them first, I will let you know. I hope to start a web page documenting the process in a couple of months.

Very nice. Is that the 2jz i saw on ebay with the crazy header? I would strongly recommend a small turbo because the lag makes the car so spongey around town. I am used to NA power so I have no patience for a lagging ride.

I would like to know what you have in mind for the engine mounts. Lets keep in touch.

Thanks for posting the link. It made for good reading. The 2JZ I sourced was the one on Ebay, but after it did not sell, I contacted the seller and arranged a deal with him. It was exactly what I was looking for and set up for SDS as well. I am not too concerned about a laggy turbo. That can be overcome by running a smaller turbine housing, but really, how can a mid to high 10 second 3500 lb Supra be considered laggy :roll: ? Now take the same drivetrain and put it into a 2500-2700 lb car.

I ain't skeered!! :twisted:

I will not be doing any of the install process until after the SEZS event regardless. I also need to source a mid sump pan as mine is front sump... but I understand these to be plentiful...

Anyway, I'll be in touch as well...

mike

P.S. Don't worry Mike, I can't compete with Scottie. His 1/4 mile knowledge is beyond sheer horsepower....but hey, James beat him, so who knows?? :D

Guest Zachb55

Hey Cyrus, good to see your still going at it, cant wait to see that thing start to come together. as soon as you get a hold of that car or have anything you want me to publish, remember i dedicated as much of my server space as you need to put up stuff on your swap. write me an email if youve got anything you want me to do on there, or have any new pics to post. for anyone who hasn't seen pics of what he's got, heres a link to the pics im hosting for him so far:

http://www.240zconversions.com/supraswap.htm

Enjoy, hope to hear from you soon. thanks for keeping this public, it will help many in the future guys!

-Zach

Guest Your Car is Slow

Im also doing this swap...dropped my LT1 plans to go with a 2JZ (large single Turbo).

Ive been trying to locate a busted block (yea..they are rare) to do some mock up measurements for the motor mounts. Or has someone already done this? I heard that the stock mounts are way too far forward to be used...perhaps the JTR Setback plates could be redrilled?

I did locate a block at Titan Motorsports..but they wanted 200 bucks for it...that seemed a bit ridiculous for a busted block IMO.

Hope this thread stays alive!

From looking at my engine, the mounts seem to be set bak a little farther than the L28, but I haven't made any measurements yet...

Anyway, with a few of us working on the swap at the same time, we should get some good information exchanged

From looking at my engine' date=' the mounts seem to be set bak a little farther than the L28, but I haven't made any measurements yet...

Anyway, with a few of us working on the swap at the same time, we should get some good information exchanged[/quote']

Let me know if you need help. i love custom fab.

Guest Zachb55

i dont see why this swap hasnt been done yet... call me ignorant but every time i think about it i cant see too many problems, money being the greatest for someone like me. There are lots people on this site who had plenty of time and money for an RB swap, we just need someone to go for it in the 2JZ spectrum, who has plenty of money to be able to deal with all the little things :D . I hate the fact that im not one who can do this right now, but 17 probably isnt the best time to go for a rarely done engine swap. So who all do we know is doing this, and how far are you? any approximations on when we'll see some pics of a 2J-Z ?

-Zach

Guest Your Car is Slow

As mentioned before...mine(and the one cyrus is looking for) is a 240Z.

FYI..its also in the subject title of the thread...in case more clarification is necessary :D