HybridZ
Tim240z

R230 Axle assembly: a pictoral review

Just wanting to let those who are interested in bulletproof stub axles know that modern motorsports has developed a 40 spline stub axle to suit Z31 turbo, with a 5 x 114.3 mm pcd on the flange and a fine 40 spline axle which is much stronger than 280 Z or even Z31 turbo stubs. I have tested these in a manual car and thay are fine for high 9 second passes with 60 fts in the 1.42 zone. I'm not sure how they translate to 280 Z or earlier models, but the basic design of the stub is virtually identical, so I'm sure if you provide the bearing numbers and other relevant dimensions Ross at modern motorsports can help you out.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/default.php

Guest nwcubsman
These will be AWESOME if I can ever get some companion flanges for a 280Z to use with them! :shock:

Hint Hint.... Anyof you guys have extras in the larger 27 spline??? Anyone need any of the earlier' date=' smaller R180 Type???

Mike[/quote']

Mike,

Try Kim Blough at Idaho Z Car. I think he has them on the shelf. At least he did a month ago.

Bryan

Guest marinate

Anyone going to the R230 or Q45 that will no longer be using their R200 3.7LSD give me a shout. That is if you want to get rid of it. I will only have modest horsepower - about 275 and don't need the plumpest pumkin.

Speedway engineering ( http://www.1speedway.com/main.htm ) now has them on the shelf. Their price is $175 per. Part numbers are:

0090-046 (12.437") (driver's side)

0090-046 (12.937") (passenger side)

I figure I would put this in the sticky thread. Should make it easier for anyone else looking for part numbers. Thanks Tim.

Funny thing is that i have a 1996 300ZX TT diff here and its 5 bolt output on the lsd not 6 ? can the same thing be done but with the 5 bolt axels , meaning 4 300zx axels ?

Your diff could be from an NA 300ZX. Those have short nose R200s with 5 bolt flanges (ebay pic below):

http://i10.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/9e/d7/daec_1.JPG

Here's a pic of the Z32TT R230 (speeder's pic below):

http://rick.thebowersplace.com/pix/230Setup.JPG

EvilC, thanks for covering for me.....

As for the front mount, I made one that bolted to the holes in the tunnel that originally held the old safety strap for the R180. So basically 2 plates that bolt to the tunnel, then a cradle of tubing that bolts to the differential front ears.....simple really. I can find some photos if you need.....

Tim

EvilC, thanks for covering for me.....

As for the front mount, I made one that bolted to the holes in the tunnel that originally held the old safety strap for the R180. So basically 2 plates that bolt to the tunnel, then a cradle of tubing that bolts to the differential front ears.....simple really. I can find some photos if you need.....

Tim

Please do.....

Whats the best source for axles? Speedway? 12.437 ds &12.937ps? Will these lengths work w/ Ross's/ MM CF adp.?

Any other source for the CF adpter? Is there an aftermarket R230 thats fully locked? maybe clutch type? not VLSD? how can i tell when my VLSD is worn out? Anyone have 4.08 or 4.11 ring and pinion from Z32TT i'm thinking, & want to sell?

I hate always being the one to ask the dumb questions; but, how are the machined travel stops supposed to be installed into the CV housings?! I have screwed around for about an hour trying to get ONE into the CV housing. I have it in a vise, with a clamp on the other side and a strip of 1/4" steel across to try to even out the pressure. The steel is bending but the 'cap' isn't going in. WTF? I must be doing something wrong here! Please help!

So, I froze the end stops in the freezer overnight. Put the two 'housings' in the oven at 400 degrees for two hours; and, zip, zilch, nada. They ain't goin' in! Damn!! I called two machine shops in the area, and neither wanted to even look at my parts.....