HybridZ

LT1 Identification

I just took delivery of a complete LT1 engine, tansmission, and rear end. I ordered a '96 or '97 Camaro. I think I got something else. Here's the package: 1. Cast iron, not aluminum heads; 2. Large fan driven off a second pulley on the crank; 3. Engine oil cooler adapter and lines (set between oil filter and block ala corvette); 4. what appears to me to be a verrry large alternator; 5. a sensor on the bottom passenger side of the timing chain cover (it has wires and looks like a crank position sensor) and a air intake that runs from a filter through a sensor (MAS?) into a resonator and then into the intake through another air sensor (speed density?). Bolted to the top of intake manifold is a large triangular hollow cover that attaches to the air intake. On the floor this all looks bizarre. Cast into the left rear portion of the block is the following: GM 57L S61. The auto transmission has a sticker with the following: 6BWD---Toledo 616BWDY 15997028.

Is this likely to be a '96 Camaro z/28 or am I the new owner of something out of a Caprice or Buick. And, if this is not a Z/28, what is it likely to be.

Your answers may help keep a marriage together.

I'll really appreciate any insight you may have before I pick up the telephone to have a SERIOUS conversation with the seller.

GW

Hey GW,

You do have an LT1, but it's out of a full bodied car (probably an impala SS) with a heavy duty cooling package, thus the engine driven fan. I bought the same motor for my conversion. That drivetrain is definately not out of an F-body. They all had Al heads, and never had the bulky baffles. So if you were suppose to get an F-body LT1 i would also have a serious converstation with him/her. Good luck on resolving the situation.

You definitely got a Impala/Caprice/Roadmaster motor. The engine driven fan is a cool deal and not easy to come by. Desireable for someone wanting an LT-1 in a tow vehicle. Rumor has it that the cast iron heads flow better than the aluminum ones. I have two buddies with Impala SS. One is a high mileage '94 he pocket ported the heads and put a small crane cam in it. Cat back exhaust and it made 297 hp at the wheels. My other friend had a low mileage 96 he put AFR heads on and ASM coated headers and a full exhaust. Dynoed 265 at the rear wheels. Just to show you the potential of the non F-body/'vette motor, but I would ask for a couple of hundred bucks back...

I really appreciate the immediate posts. Perhaps, you all can help me determine if this is a Impala SS or simply a generic Roadmaster or Caprice with a towing package. At this time, I'd like to confirm the year. I understand that '96 & '97 LT1s were equipted with Chevy's new upgraded vacuum pumped, water tight, fail safe Opti-spark distributer and sequential fuel injection. My seller, at this time, has not provided me with the VIN #. I think I now know why. Is the presence of a sensor on the bottom passenger side of the timing cover likely to be anything other than a crank position sensor and is this a reliable indication that this motor has both sequential fuel injection and the improved Opti-spark.

gw

The engine driven fan was OPTIONAL on the iron head LT-1. Most likely in a cop car or station wagon, but it could have been had in an Impala SS. Regardless, 1996 was the last year of the LT-1 in the big cars and 95 and up had the modified optispark, and the engine is the same regardless of which platform it was installed in. More important is its condition rather than its source. I have two LT1s. A '96 Camaro motor with CNC ported heads and a '95 cop car motor. The Camaro motor is going into my '68 convertible and the cop car motor REALLY wants to find its way into my Z...