HybridZ

Come view my videos...

JMortensen

Jimzdat was nice enough to put these up on his server. I've been sitting on these for a LONG time. Thanks again to Jim for doing this so I can share this stuff!!! :2thumbs: And thanks to Drax for getting my @ss motivated.

This video was taken 4 years ago when I had just installed my Mikunis. My brother in law and my wife and I all drove the Z that day. I was at the end of a run group and didn't get a chance to drop my rear tire pressure between runs. Having the rears about 3 psi too high made for a fun ride! There are 2 autox runs, the first one shown from inside the car and outside. The run with my bro in law was made right after he had driven his last run.

The video with music has some swearing in it, so if you've got kids get the other one and listen to the Mikunis singing all by themselves. Here's the URL:

http://hybridz.jimzdat.com/zpics.htm

Here are direct links to the vids:

http://hybridz.jimzdat.com/pics/jmortensenwithmusic.wmv

http://hybridz.jimzdat.com/pics/jmortensenautocross.wmv

Enjoy!!!

Jon

Thanks all. I lost all my old pics of the Z (formatted my hard drive and thought they were all backed up), so these videos are the only record I have of it, aside from receipts. It's nice to be able to share what it can do, but it has gotten quite a bit faster than 4 years ago. :D Higher compression motor from 8.5 to 11 with a lot more headwork, 1.5 degrees more neg camber in front and 1 in rear, more caster, carb tuning, rebuilt distributor, better clutch, etc.

I am trying to start the next phase of the car, with the adjustable rear toe that Jeromio, Terry, and I came up with, brakes, tranny rebuild, exhaust mods, new tie rod setup, better camber curve, hopefully better rear gears and a severe diet. Oh and maybe some flares. Hopefully when I can get all that done I can make another vid... :D My wish list is long and my check book is empty. :( But my business is growing and my wife will be done with school in a year. :-D

We'll see how it all turns out.

Jon

Apparently you didn't hear the engine revving! :wink: I floored it asap, but the Mikunis pump nozzles that were way too small at that time, so it didn't do much for a second or two. The extra pressure in the rears really made the tail happy aspect worse, the car normally doesn't act like that. It makes for good video though!!! :D

I'd like to see what your car can do. I would venture a guess to say that you are probably a bit faster than me, I still had a full interior, insert several other excuses here... :wink:

Jon

Ah ha. That was the delay. I'm at work, so I had the volume turned down pretty low.

Maybe well meet up someday. My motor still need lots of work so it isn't as fast as it could be either! For the forseeable future, I am working on the chassis, not go fast stuff. Mostly media blasting with Black Diamonds (this stuff is great), welding, priming so it doesn't look like, and drive like such a beater. I don't really want to be part of the Jackstand Racing team, so it's going slow as I am just doing small areas at a time.

At under !900 lbs, the weight advantage is significant, but my car is getting heavier now because of added steel to stiffen things up so until I'm done with that, I won't know which motor the car will end up with (depends on weight). So thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Also there is a good chance my job will move far away later this year, so I am starting to think about what goes with me and what doesn't (if I move with it) so I'd like to have a good idea of what motor I will be using by then, as I have all three motors in my shop and don't think I want to take them all with me.

• 4 months later...
Guest RCNSC

Awesome vids and car! That looks fun. I always thought you cam across as kinda know-it-allish but your driving shows maybe you know a thing or two! 8) Awesome exhaust note and damn your Z looks quick.

Whats the middle gauge in the car?

I try not to come across too strong, but if I have an opinion it's because I've thought about it, and I'll defend my opinions... :wink: I do try really hard to admit when I'm wrong though to try and balance it out a little.

The gauges are Autometer speedo, tach, water temp, oil pressure, stock amp/fuel.

Thanks for the compliments on the car. Hoping it will be quite a bit faster soon.

RPMs was one of my biggest problems. I don't know that I broke 5500 rpms on either run. Coming out of some of the slow turns it had to be right around 2000. New 4:11 diff will fix that.

It still has too much roll. Working on some bigger sway bars to help that.

I got the speed bug. I can't get into the drifting thing. It just doesn't feel right. Kinda like when I was a kid: I used to go to the local bike jumps and jump as HIGH as I could. Then I started racing, and the first thing they tell you is that the less air you get the faster you go and your first lesson is how to suck up the jumps without getting much air. After the racing I couldn't catch big air anymore. I had trained myself not to.

Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...