HybridZ

KEY STUCK IN IGNITION!!!(no time for search.. in a rush)

Guest Joe17

Guest Joe17

ok so i go to turn my 240z on tonight and the key turned all the way to the on position and then stopped! it wont turn back. its stuck in the on position. doens anyone know how i can fix this?!? thank you sooo much for your help!

Guest bastaad525

Hate to tell you this but most likely you have to replace the ignition switch. It's an easy repair... I replaced mine with a used one, that the guy sold me with a key, for like $30. Took me no more than an hour. In the meantime, be sure and disconnect your battery. Is the car your daily driver? Even with the key stuck on you can still start and drive it if you need too... wouldn't plan on leaving it parked anywhere outside for too long though. I dont think you can really get inside the ignition switch locking mechanism itself to figure out what's going on... you could try a locksmith, as well.

Guest Joe17

hey thanks for the info. i disconected the ignition so there is no power to the car from the key being in the on position. yes the car is my daily driver, but im going to use my dads car tomorrow. thanks again

You can unscrew the plastic back of the ignition switch and completely bypass the lock. Once you get the plastic switch off the back, you'll see that you can manually turn the switch with a screwdriver or the end of the key to the acc/on/start positions. I have a friend who drove her Z like that for years. Just tuck it up and out of sight when you get out of the car. A theif will probably recognize what it is and realize that they can very easily start your car.

I've unscrewed the pieces before, but I can't honestly remember what all was involved. It wasn't a big deal IIRC. If you have to take the steering lock setup off just grind a slot in the end of the bolts (because they have no heads on them) and turn them out with a screwdriver.

You can probably take the tumbler to a locksmith and have them fix it. I had my Toyota ignition tumbler fixed when some of the pins fell out one day. Real bummer. Wife had the truck and was about 8 hours away at a camp for kids with diabetes. My options were go rescue her or pay a $350 tow bill. I went and rescued her.

It would be nice if someone else could fill in my fuzzy memory on this one.

Jon

Guest Joe17

Thank you sooo much Jon.

I took the back off of the ignition for a quick fix and im going to try to get the rest of it fixed this weekend.This board is a life saver! once again THANK YOU.

Guest fattyjay22

I just went to my local auto parts store and purchased a new tumbler set w a new key. Then all you have to do is remove the beauty plate from the front of the ignition and pull out the little pin holding the tumbler assembly in place. A new tumbler with a key only cost me $23 and now I have a brand new Nissan key for my ignition

I didn't know why at the time, but when I had my first Z (81 280zx) someone had already done something like this to my ignition. I could start that car with a screwdriver, my house key...heck, I used a popsicle stick one day! But I have even had this issue with my 93 King cab! I don't wana think about what THAT's gona cost me to replace! The few times it's happened to me in my truck, I just fiddled/cursed at it/played around until it came out.

I had this same thing happen to me one night when I stuck my '74 key into my '77. After about 15 minutes of playing with it I could get it to start and drive it, but I still couldn't get the key out. BTW, just unplugging the ignition switch eliminates the power drain while in the "on"position. Alot easier then disconnecting the battery. Acouple days later(not a daily driver) I took a pair of vise grips and as I was "locking" them down on the key I also turned the key. It only took one try. Apparently the snapping action of the vise grips made the tumblers jump enough for the key to turn. Luckily, it didn't do anything to the key, or the ignition.

Not exactly the same situation, but hope it helps.

Guest Joe17

hey thanks a lot you guys for all your help. my dad purchased a whole new ignition! $90! i honestly dont know why he did this so quickly, but he was just trying to help. cant blame him. im going to look into buying the new tumbler set for $23. seems like a much better way to go. thanks again.

• 6 years later...

I just went to my local auto parts store and purchased a new tumbler set w a new key. Then all you have to do is remove the beauty plate from the front of the ignition and pull out the little pin holding the tumbler assembly in place. A new tumbler with a key only cost me $23 and now I have a brand new Nissan key for my ignition

ok so how in the heck do you get that beauty plate off? to replace those tumblers?

any help would be greatly appreaciated

Dave E

• 2 weeks later...