HybridZ

l28e > t (na to turbo conversion..)

lilj

i've been searching like 2 hours and i cannot find any post where someone has listed the required parts to make a na to turbo on the l28e. all i can think of off the top of my head is:

manifold

turbo

downpipe

turbo ecu (does it matter if it comes from auto or 5spd? for a 5spd. -- heard conflicting things..)

turbo maf (?)

turbo injectors (or better)

if you guys can point me at a post or answer the question i'd appretiate it.

thanks

-jon

You will also need the turbo distributer and ECU harness. oh.. and do not ... forget the turbo igniter. It is connected on the coil of the turbo car.

While you are at it I would find a Non EGR intake manifold and get a Aluminium Fuel rail. I would go with the ones Pallnet are making. THey come with a fuel pressure gauge in them as well. Very good stuff to have on a turbo car.

You can email him for info at pallnet@hotmail.com

Hope this helps some..

Guest HolyLlama

While the topic is brought up, would an L28e converted to turbo produce more hp than a stock L28et because of its higher compression ratio, and what would the risk of detonation be. I bought another 280ZX today, the one my turbo engine originally was in. The L28e in it now has 150k less miles on it than my turbo engine and I asked the guy if I could bolt the exhaust manifold and turbo on it and he said it would turn into a "grenado."

If I remember right, the F54 block was used in both the turbo and NA models, just the pistons changed (Flat for the NA and dished for the turbo) The higher compression of the flat piston would keep you from being able to add as much boost without detonation as you could with the dished, but the compression of those engines was still low enough that you could probably get away with 7-8 Psi, but more might be asking for trouble. Also switching to a 2mm headgasket will lower compression a little, and I think the P90 head would also help to lower it a bit more but I may be wrong on that one, its been a while since I researched that subject =) Just never got around to actually trying it.

I have a N/A L28 with twinturbo.

F54 block, N 42 head, HKS 1mm headgasket, custom headers, twin Garrett GT17's, modified head and intake, a giant I/C, a modified Saab APC box to keep it from detonating.

CR 8,4:1 and I'm running 10-14psi (adjustable)

Haven't had any problems yet, so I'm going to raise that to around 16-18psi.

aab.sized.jpg

aah.sized.jpg

Guest bastaad525

All depends one what you are running to control fuel and spark. Stock EFI isnt gonna put up with much boost on a higher compression N/A motor, I agree 7-8psi is probably the safe limit. Throw a Tec or SDS system on there and that all goes out the window though. If you build an N/A motor to run around 8 or 9:1 compression with a turbo and programmable fuel/ignition you'd be loving it. You could easily run higher levels of boost for big power numbers while your off boost response would be greatly improved by the higher compression.

• 3 years later...

well the consensus on here is usually get a turbo block, refresh it and build away.

My problem is... i have the turbo F54 block, with all N/A internals that is sitting in my garage waiting for me to replace the rings. I'm trying to research and see if the only difference between the N/A pistons and the turbo pistons is a larger dish or if the rings located differently, etc.

well the consensus on here is usually get a turbo block, refresh it and build away.

My problem is... i have the turbo F54 block, with all N/A internals that is sitting in my garage waiting for me to replace the rings. I'm trying to research and see if the only difference between the N/A pistons and the turbo pistons is a larger dish or if the rings located differently, etc.

F54 NA and Turbo pistons have bigger ringlands (thicker?)... the NA dish pistons from a N42 block are thinner but can still handle pretty well when properly tuned.

so i'm better off sourcing pistons from a turbo motor? or will the N/A N42 pistons hold up to 15psi?

i believe big-phil was running an n42 block with na pistons with a P90 head. He was running 18-20psi on a holset turbo + megasquirt for a while until he had problems.:mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...
I was lookn' in vic british, or Black Dragon now and piston set is only 250 for rings, pistons, pins, buttons. The works. I'll have to look and see how much it'll drop my compression but I think that will be the easier route.

-Ed

Save yourself the trouble and expand your capacity by using forged pistons and installing ARP rod bolts while you are in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit curious- For this type of set up- putting a turbo onto an NA block, what kind of power was seen for anyone who did it (or a ball park figure of what to expect reasonably) with what mods and how much boost was being run?

My car is currently set up like this and im hoping to get a good ball park figure of what to expect (fmic, 3 inch intake and turbo back, 440 injectors, many many msd parts, 240sx tb, minor head work, shell be getting a haltech and dyno tunning here before shes on the road). Im hoping for at least 250-300 whp- Anyone know if this is a reasonable and safe number?

I have a N/A L28 with twinturbo.

F54 block, N 42 head, HKS 1mm headgasket, custom headers, twin Garrett GT17's, modified head and intake, a giant I/C, a modified Saab APC box to keep it from detonating.

CR 8,4:1 and I'm running 10-14psi (adjustable)

Haven't had any problems yet, so I'm going to raise that to around 16-18psi.

aab.sized.jpg

aah.sized.jpg

i want to see pics of your setup :idea:

edit.....dam http://speedfreak.nu/modules.php?set_albumName=album437&id=aah&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php