HybridZ

Questions on L28 dyno numbers

Guest InterSpool

The Merced heads will not fit, even if you could find one.

Er, I think the expression in the modern vernacular is - "word". Yes, the Mercedes heads will not fit a Nissan L-gata engine block......

Guess why.

The block came from a diesel so there is a lot of cyl wall to bore.

I'm sorely tempted to say "EEEK! - part 2".....

But let's just cut to the chase and say Nissan petrol L-series engines have nothing to do with Mercedes diesels, and if you are boring a Nissan L-series petrol block then just worry about the wall thickness of the particular block you are boring, and not about any 'Mercedes design' fairy stories.........

As far as the "Price L series" line that comes from Mr Ks book, sorry for the bad resource. Be warned HS30-H I have a dead Welsh grandfather that haunts.

The "Mr K book" is also known as the "Hackensack Book Of Lies" in our house. You might like to keep in mind that it could be seen as part of the industry of promoting the 'Mr K.' brand ( TM ) rather than a document of strict historical accuracy....... And I'm taking pains to be as polite as possible about that.

I'm not too worried about your sadly departed Welsh relative ( bless his soul ), as you - being still with us - are giving me more urgent cause for concern at the moment.......

"Better to live a short full life as a smartarse than a long dull one as a dumbarse". - AC Ellis

At least you can spell 'Arse' properly. Hats off to you for that at the very least!

Cheers,

Alan T.

ps - you might like to try a Google search on 'Hiroshi Iida, Nissan L-gata engine', and see what comes up. You might be surprised........

Just wondering since the L series was based on the mercedes engines, do any of the mercedes heads fit even close to the L series block? Just curious..

This question is the exact reason why we need to watch the type of comments we make on here. I'm not saying the question is wrong, I'm just saying the information passed that spawned the question needs to be kept in check and verfied completely before being posted.

If you mean the L series was based on the Mercedes diesel in that it has cylinders, sure why not, but it truly has no physical resemblence to any Mercedes engine beyond being an engine in general. No interchangeable parts, not similar bolt patterns, nothing. The only diesel with anything related to an L engine is the L24 diesel from the Maximas.

You are correct Drax240z, also a 1958 3.0 L6.

HS30-H brought up the point again that I was pointing to in that the L can take a lot of HP. defrag010 has a good post under 3.4L L28 stroker and as always 1 fast z have the head work covered.

My apologies to all that I have bothered by quoting half lies and mostly true stuff.

The media always tells the truth and that's why I like picture books.

• 9 months later...