HybridZ

How long to let paint dry before clear coat?

PUSHER

Terry is right, check a tech sheet for the specific brand you are using. I have shot basecoat from Dupont, PPG, and Sherwin Williams and overnight has been plenty long enough. I like overnight because it lets you pinstripe or tu-tone with a little extra safety factor.

According to Duponts Tech Manual - drying time for basecoat when applying their hi-production 7500 series clears is only 15-30 minutes.

Bill

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Any painting I have done, I always let it cure for at least 24 hours. I have never been a fan of the overnight curing because cold hours dont do much at all to help the curing process. 8 warm daytime hours normally do the trick, but, as you can see from the responses, that time varies drastically depending on what paint you are using. Wow, 15-30 min, that's awesome. If a bug were to get stuck to it, it could be cured with the bug still alive! :shock:

I second the, check with the person you purchased from, response.

One thing I've heard to be true when viewing this question from the other side of the coin is that you shouldn't wait too long either. My understanding (again with only the products I'm familar with) is that you cannot wait too long to clear-coat either. beyond a couple of days I believe the basecoat is set and must then be scuffed up or sanded again prior to the clear-coat. So in essence you have a small time window to work with when following up the base coat with a clear coat.