HybridZ

Z31/300zx ECU/MAF to 280ZXT swap guide

Afshin

Using a 300ZX harness is probably better than using a 280ZX-T harness since the connectors to the ECU are so often faulty on the older harnesses (however, it does not fit in nearly as nicely because of the different ECU location and V6 configuration, so it is harder to put in). A few others have used the 300ZX harness with good success.

Of note, several people have fixed unrelenting “gremlins†and intermittent problems in their EFI systems after soldering 300ZX ECU connector in place of the 280Z and ZX’s ones. The reason I converted the 280ZX-T harness is that it was already in my car, hence it was considerably easier to swap by changing a few wires around and convert it to run with the 300ZX ECU and MAF.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

I've been trying to see the pictures originally included in this thread for a few weeks now with no luck, as well as the zcar post, nothing is coming up for me - AND i've searched but with no results with my answer.

I'm thinking of using the Z31 ECU in my F54/N42 L28ET buildup, but we didnt get ANY 280zxT parts here in Australia so i cant get the L28ET dizzy/oil pump, is there any way around this with local (Australian) parts RB30 maybe? I'm still considering the Megasquirt but something sourced locally is alot easier and cheaper as everyone knows.

Are the parts available through nissan still (82zxt oil pump / dizzy) ? - If so does anyone know the part numbers?

Also, would the N/A Z31 ECU, work on an N/A ZX with 82zxt oil pump / dizzy?

Nitr0, I would think that the pump/drive/dist. from the L20ET would work in place, unless that ECCS is different. As you know some skylines and the Fairlady Turbo (S130J) came with the L20(A)ET

I can get and ship ANYTHING you need. I will even ship whole motors by ship. Up to 44 lbs., I can ship by USPS surface mail (very slow, at least for cranks and heads, etc., but everything I shipped to Australia has gotten there so far).

If anyone wants anything, just PM me. I know how hard it can be to get things that were never in your "market".

• 4 weeks later...

Does any one have the pictures posted by Afshin? especially the one on page two that compares 280ZXT chopper wheel to the Z31 chopper wheel.

Since the wreck yard I went to refused to sell me just the Z31 dizzy wheel unless I shell out 50$ for the whole Z31 dizzy, I have to turn my 280ZXT wheel into a Z31 wheel by enlarging the #1 TDC slot. However I have to verify the relationship between the slots and the flat side in the middle.

I have to explain what I just said : Imagine a perpendicular bisecting line is drawn on the flat side of the hole which is at the center of the wheel, the bisecting line forms an angle with the closest slot. The question is, do Z31 wheel and 280ZXT wheel form the same angle? I believe the offset angle has something to do with sending the signal in advance so the ECU can time the spark by choosing a certain amount of delay. Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crowbar
Is it absolutely necessary to use a turbo Z31 ECU? All I can find is a N/A Z31 ECU. Thanks

The NA 300zx cars use 180cc injectors. The ecu could probably handle slightly larger injectors without reprogramming.

For upgrading earlier 6 cylinder cars before 84, the 300zx NA ecu/maf setup should be a good way to go. Even for boost applications (6-7 psi). The cars are certainly plentiful in the yards. The improvement in drivability, economy, starting would be worthwhile.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How EXACTLY do you bypass them? As in, what wires go in what terminals on the plug? I asked on Zcar.com, but by the time people figured out that I was right in saying that the 81s have resistors and the 84s don't it was already at the bottom of the page.

I HATE that about Zcar.com. Threads disappear before they've run their course.

Anyway, the only answers I got were just to run jumper wires. That doesn't tell me much. Where do they go and how does it work?

Guest znow white

I just won a 86 turbo ecu/ maf / harness for $35 on ebay and since my l28et 240z runs really horrible I would love to swap to the z31 eccs system. There was allot of people on this last page asking if they can swap the entire system including the harness. Ashfin sort of answered it with how easier it was for him to leave his 280zxt harness rather than put the z31. BUT has anyone else done it? because I rather put the whole eccs system including harness it is probally in better shape.

I also cant view any of the pictures can someone please send them to me via email or rather post them here so everyone can benefit from the pics especially of the chopper wheel on the dizzy.

PLEASE SOMEONE UPDATE THE PICTURES its either this or megasquirt please help me out I got my car last summer swapped the engine/ecu/cvs/diff bla bla bla and even started modding .....when its still running bad stumbling falling on its face type of thing

• 1 month later...

Ok I just finished the swap as you directed I have an 85 turbo ecu and maf on an 83 280zxt and everything is wired as you did and the car starts but it wont idle and it is coughing out alot of smoke seems to be running way to rich the smoke smells like raw fuel. And it seems to be running on like 4 cylinders missing like crazy. I've tried switching injectors 2 & 5 and the knock sensor but that makes no difference, and there are no ecu blink codes IDk what it could be . Has anyone else had this happen?

From my post on ZDriver: ( http://zdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?p=139951#post139951 )

Check the fuel pressure. You should be at 30-35psi fuel pressure.

Here's some questions I have:

Did you ground the fuel pump onto the body?

Did you wire the AFM to MAF wiring correctly? (There are 2 black MAF wires that a lot of people mix up)

Did you swap ecu pin 16 & 108 so the fuel pump & air regulator still work correctly?

Did you make sure the Z31 distributor chopper wheel is facing the correct way? It will run very crappy if that wheel wasn't installed correctly.

Ok I just finished the swap as you directed I have an 85 turbo ecu and maf on an 83 280zxt and everything is wired as you did and the car starts but it wont idle and it is coughing out alot of smoke seems to be running way to rich the smoke smells like raw fuel. And it seems to be running on like 4 cylinders missing like crazy. I've tried switching injectors 2 & 5 and the knock sensor but that makes no difference, and there are no ecu blink codes IDk what it could be . Has anyone else had this happen?

I fixed that problem now the car runs but when its cold it boggs if i gve it any gas even when it warms up it still bogs just not half as bad.