Afshin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys. Haven't posted here much but the guys at ZDriver are becoming retarded in trying to help me with my problem, so I am posting it here hoping that someone can help.

Actually... just to clarify.... xtreme didn't follow the instructions & wired things INCORRECTLY. :D But thanks for the "retarded" part.

• 1 month later...
has anyone modified the NA dizzy to work with the optical sensor and chopper wheel? im having trouble trying to mount it because the shaft itself is larger on the NA i believe.

Just get an 82-83 turbo distrib... then you don't have to modify anything.

• 2 weeks later...

we are selling our entire set-up now... $85 shipped to anywhere in the US for the Disty, ECU, MAF, and Wiring Harness... Daniel decided to basically scrap everything we have done so far and is going to just let the car sit and then attempt MegaSquirt later in the summer...

Guest HBZ81
we are selling our entire set-up now... $85 shipped to anywhere in the US for the Disty, ECU, MAF, and Wiring Harness... Daniel decided to basically scrap everything we have done so far and is going to just let the car sit and then attempt MegaSquirt later in the summer...

Or perhaps rbXX swap or v8... when i'm back from the oil fields...

havent decided yet

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

No one has hit this thread up in a while, so Im just gonna post what Im about to do and see if any is still watching. Ive got a 81 280zx na and I just got the ecu maf harness and CAS wheel out of an 85 na 5speed car with digital dash. Im thinking about swapping the whole harness since the na 280 harness will be lacking so many wires and the injector harness grounds all the injectors to one big resistor. I will need to undo the recall on the 300 harness and put new dropping resistors in. Also I am waiting on a 280 turbo dizzy and need to buy a new H02s Doesnt look like I will need to hook up too much new wiring except the hot for injectors, FPR and the coil, right? Ive got the 300 coil and transistor/ ballast. the 280 getc the tach signal from the coil wiring and not from the ECU right?

No one has hit this thread up in a while, so Im just gonna post what Im about to do and see if any is still watching. Ive got a 81 280zx na and I just got the ecu maf harness and CAS wheel out of an 85 na 5speed car with digital dash. Im thinking about swapping the whole harness since the na 280 harness will be lacking so many wires and the injector harness grounds all the injectors to one big resistor. I will need to undo the recall on the 300 harness and put new dropping resistors in. Also I am waiting on a 280 turbo dizzy and need to buy a new H02s Doesnt look like I will need to hook up too much new wiring except the hot for injectors, FPR and the coil, right? Ive got the 300 coil and transistor/ ballast. the 280 getc the tach signal from the coil wiring and not from the ECU right?

I didn't think an '85 ECU needed dropping resistors.

At least the '85 turbo doesn't.

http://www.redz31.com/pages/fuel.html

• 4 weeks later...
are there other mafs that can replace the stock l28et maf my just rewiring it to a different plug without changing the ECU? kind of like how i can put a Z32TT maf on my SR?

No..............

And the L28ET ecu doesn't use a MAF, it uses an AFM.

I have most of the wiring figured out now, using a harness/maf/ecu from a 85 na. I cant find the wiring to the VSS! Its not on the ecu harness anywhere. The signal wire is supposed to be pin 29 purple and its not there. I wanted to use the VSS so I didnt have to jerry-rig the MAF burnoff cycle, but it looks like the ECU and VSS were never connected. Also, what are the differences between NA and turbo ecus? My car is NA so I figure that using a na ecu is fine, but whats different between the two? Im assuming its just the boost referenced timing retard and knock sensor, right? Why does the NA car have a boost sensor? All the junk came from a digital dash car, did it have a vacuum gauge?

• 1 month later...

I have been asked many times for new photos, but they have been lost and I no longer have the Z31 set up, so I can’t retake them. However, there are some links that have photos:

This is a good supplement as the title suggests by 280Z Turbo and has some picture and additional links that are useful:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114687

Also as Nismopic already posted in this thread there is the JWT on how to install their Z31 set up PDF which has a lot of useful info in one place (wish I had seen this before).

http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/280%20Z31%20450HP%20UPGRADE.PDF

Bumble Zee also has provided a write up with many pictures:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=99620

I had thought about cleaning up this post, but apart from being too busy, I think it is useful to see how it evolved. These additional links should provide more than enough extra reference material. It still comes down to only a handful of wires being swapped. If you have the diagrams and have studied them ahead of time, then the upgrade can be done most easily.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm building a turbo conversion to my f54/p90 na engine(euro engine) and at the time I don't have any ECU or wiring harness for it. I'm thinking of putting 300zx ecu to my setup, but I was just wondering which would be easier to install to my car, 300zx ecu with my 300zx wiring harness only or the 280zxt+300zx wiring harness and 300zx ecu?

Now I have L26 with carbs under the hood.

As already mentioned in the thread, the 300zx harnesses appear to have better connectors, which are a common source of poor connections and EFI related "gremlins" in the 280ZX. So despite the easier/cleaner fit of the 280zx harness, I would select one from a 300zx, if starting from scratch.