HybridZ

An original Scarab Z on Ebay

pparaska

Guest zcarbuilder

Whats sad is your correct and its taken me four years to get everything done since purchasing this car. Once I got to the right place the work was phenominal and the car is exceptional at this point lacking of course paint. I will take pics of what was purcahsed with the car that carried the scarab name but fabrication work is just outstanding.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great narrative, and a fantastic reading. Can you please be a bit more in detail, with the mustang II steering rack installation if don't mind. I am in the process of researching the topic; however, any help will be highly appreciated, especially if you did not have any issues with the installation on your Z.

Respectfully,

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zcarbuilder

Sorry for the delayed response, I will answer all the questions. I mentioned after I originally purchased the vehicle and found the repair to the frame rails done with caulking and two inches of tar over top of that it went to a shop located in Charlotte NC that advertised as a race shop (I won't mention the name but they went out of business). Moving from the hack shop I found an outstanding body shop (Popes Autobody and Paint) in Concord NC and that led me to www.fatmanfab.com in Mint Hill NC.

Fat Man Fabrication installed the Mustang two rack and steering system, they corrected the disc brake system on all four, corrected the transmission brackets, balanced and reset the 383 Stroker V8 (was six inches too far forward), used a corvette master cylinder for the brake system, reinforced the frame rails, etcetera.....(I will give a complete list of everything they did with cost in a later post from the invoice). Needless to say the car handles like a dream at this point.

If you are looking to install a mustang II rack on your Z Fat Man Fabrication ships items out (I toured their facilities) and they build everything on their web site by the way from tube steel, extremely impressive. If call them, ask for Mike, and ask him if they will ship a mustang II rack kit for the z car with instructions on mounting. If there is a market for this, they will start making it I am sure but you may want to tell Mike about this site.

More to come.....

Guest zcarbuilder
do you have any pictures of the car as it sits?

I have pics of the project that I will post within the next week or so....

Guest zcarbuilder
Zcarbuilder where are you located?

Regarding the ebay scarab claim......What I believe happened with this car by the way is the previous owner bought a kit from Scarab but my have done it when they were closing up shop or something along that line and received more than came with the original kits. The engine was not balanced and was six inches two far forward, there was a ridiculous gear reduction box in the steering system, but the decals where there, the interior looks to be a scarab interior, etc....everything EXCEPT the actual work, brackets were not properly mounted.....etc.

My guess therefore is the previous owner called at the right time and got a little extra in his kit but lacked the skill to put it together (the softball size rust hole in the floor board and frame rail repaired with caulking and two inches of tar sort of gave me a major clue on that one from the outset). I must admit they made a good effort but just didn't know what they were doing with the finer details which in a V8 conversion is everything.

more to come......

Tough to tell if it's an original with out seeing the Scarab SN and the other identifying features. Additionally it's an automatic so I'm skeptical about it. Ahhh read his ad touting it as an original, wonder what the SN is.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zcarbuilder

I emailed him and asked if the car was still for sale and he responded within 24 hours saying it was with the same pitch as is on the web site. I responded thanking him and asked for the production number etc. and he never responded. Most likely a kit conversion. I followed up to my first response and still no answer.....

• 4 weeks later...

Yhea, that's definitely a fake, I have all the original sales brochures from scarab, those are definitely not scarab seats nor the scarab interior. And Im curious about those Valve covers I see on his and the ones you restored dsommer, the previous owner of mine swears the ones I have are original, and they are very close but subtly different to the style yours and his are. Mine have the same fluting and whatnot, but the Scarab name is on a raised peice of what feels kinda like plastic, its level with the top of the fluting. Did they make different styles, or who has the fakes :)

Anway, here are some pics, Ill get a closeup of the valve cover later.

DSCN0380-1.jpg

DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0411.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a set of VC similar to yours sell on E-bay for over $200. I spoke with Craig Sparks (master of all things Scarab IMO) and he told me that they were not original covers.

I got mine from a member here on Hybridz. Truly a "find".

Ironically enough, My set was purchased directly from scarab. The really weird thing is that in the Brochures and stuff that I have, the valve covers on the pictured car do not match either your set or mine. I wonder if they had different production runs.

• 3 weeks later...