HybridZ

So does anybody want to know what a stock 280Z dyno's!!!!!

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

So who wants to know!!! a stock 1977 280Z (im talking 100% stock here) thats running not great at all, and has a dirty air filter, and leaks some oil, and with 160+K miles on the motor/car/etc!

dynoed it at school today for shats and giggles and i was pretty happy.

it put out 149.7lbs and 132rwhp.

i stopped right at 5500 RPMS because i hear some rattling after that rpm and it didnt matter anyways i made all my power from 2700 and dropped at 4900 rpms.

so what you guys think? is it good or bad. i can care less as long as the sucker doesnt blow up.

thanks

Mike

ON3GO

I thought it had to be somethiing like that, or my 78 280 was hauling a large invisible brick that slowed me down and allowed the hondas to run faster.

Seriously, I remembered my old '75 with an 82 ZX drivetrain as considerably quicker than the present stock (waiting for energy to conduct the transfusion) '78. Of course, part of that could be, things were always faster back then!! (The 75 has been gone since a crew cab duelly shortened it in April 1985)

Thanks for the info.

ED/ecp48

Athens, GA

Guest ON3GO

from my understanding the numbers i put down are pretty good.

considering my cap and rotor, plugs and wires are shot, motor isnt in the best of shape and has ALOT of miles, and its bone stock.

but what do i know... they could be really crappy numbers.

are they guys?

Mike

Makes me wonder what mine is going to put down to the wheels.. Here's a rundown on my car: 75 280 (L28 re-built about 10 years ago... :?: ) with 72 SU carbs, opened up air cleaner (stock one, cut up a bit), a straight open exhast (no mufler) and a 280zx dizzy. Any guesses?

Guest bastaad525

a LOT more than I would expect... I've seen stock 280z's and ZX's dyno and it's always from 110-125rwhp. I know 280z's were rated higher from the factory but they were rated in gross flywheel hp, when they switched to ZX's they switched to net flywheel hp and the numbers went way down (factory ratings from 135-145 flywheel hp). Honestly I'm very surprised you put down 130hp to the wheels.... hell a stock 280zx turbo usually puts down about 140-150 to the wheels!

Datsunlover - I'd peg you at about 140-150 at the wheels. I had a similiar setup, but overbored to 2.9L, with 10:1 compression, a mild cam, headers and some other goodies and put 170hp to the wheels.

Mine Dynoe'd at 147, and by 1/4 mile times (15.30 to 15.50) should show 202 at the crank ( :? )....

Many have told me that stock turbos put that much down, and I have had people in stock turbos comment on how fast I pull out in front of them...

Specs: 1981 ZX motor from a 2+2 with 186K miles (now closer to 220K)

K&N air filter in stock housing.

TWM big throat throttle body.

Downpipe from MSA from stock manifold to 2.5" press-bent exhaust, and two mufflers (far quieter than stock).

That's IT.

So for 130+ I would say from what everyone else sees, you have one fairly well running engine.

125 to 130 HP at the wheels is typical for a stock L28. At our club's last dyno day we had a couple stocks ones put out power in that area. We also had some modified ones (header, intake, exhaust), that weren't putting out much better (maybe a few more HP).

The club track car we built put 164HP to the wheels. It has Megasquirt EFi, 60mm TB, 6-1 header, 2.5" exhaust, stock F54 flat tops, stock N47 head (10:1 CR).

We thrashed it for 6 track sessions at NHIS, and we were getting 20MPG!. If you weren't on the brakes, the throttle was wide open.

Pete

Guest BigE

My 82 NA 5spd 3.90 put down 114 rwhp and 135 lb ft of torque with only a K&N filter. The car had about 260,000 miles on it at the time and was stock with the exception of the air filter. The car is in a "junkyard dog"/daily driver state. It runs and I keep it up the best I can, but it is far from perfect. The dyno curve was a little eratic indicating some engine control issues. In any event, essentially stock I put down 114 hp.

• 2 years later...

I know you guys will be reluctant to believe me but I really peed a guy off at the 2005 MSA dyno day with my 78. The dyno might have been reading high but I also can run consistent 15.2's at 90mph at the time and my eighths were in the neighborhood of 9.8 to 9.9 with 2.1 60' on 225/50R16 Kuhmo street tires.

Here were the specs at the time for the motor

L28E with who knows how many miles (Odo says 44K but judging by the wear on the steering wheel, shifter knob (it popped off in my hand it was worn so much) and bare pedal pads (I have since replaced) I would venture 244K but I might be lucky and have 144K.

Head is the stock linered N47, I have never so much as popped the rocker cover to adjust valves.

Compression is 160 160 110 155 160 160 at 300rpm

rear at the time was stock R200 3.54

Tranny was '81 280zx N/A out of a car with 250K (since rebuilt, 2nd gear blew shortly after at the dragstrip)

Clutch is centerforce stage II

Flywheel is fidanza lightweight

60mm MSA TB with (at that time) NON PORT MATCHED INTAKE

Stock EFI with the AFM spring richened up (since been Megasquirted)

Stock Ignition with timing advanced by ear

MSA 3-2 header with custom 3" exhaust, 3" cat and turbo muffler

Stock injectors fuel pump and FPR

I'll fax the sheets in if I can get to a fax machine at kinko's tomorrow.

Here's the numbers

MINIMUM Torque 144ft/lb@2286rpm

MINIMUM HP 66hp@2286rpm

AVG Torque 166ft/lb from 2286 to 5356rpm

AVG hp 127hp from 2286 to 5356rpm

PEAK Torque 179ft/lb at 4800rpm

Peak Hp 166hp at 5356rpm

I know my sig has said # a bit higher but I couldn't find the sheets at that time. I was still genuinely suprised by the output. I actually had the highest N/A 280z hp until the guys with the big swingers showed up. (V-8's)(out horsepowered a guy that had a cam in his 280 by 3hp...man he was FURIOUS)

For another suprise, the little L that could also lit people's eyes up when they let us do a simulated 1/4 on the same dyno. My first run was a 14.3 at 97.2! The operator came up to me and started asking me what I had done to it and I opened the hood, shrugged, and said "it must be having a GREAT day8oP)"

Naturally, I couldn't repeat it but got consistent 15.1's at 91 until second gear started going out.

Then just for fun they reset my weight to 1700lb (as I had them set the dyno weight at 2700lb for all the other pulls) and pulled a 13.9 at 103. Hmm wonder how I can get that thing to lose 1000lb?

I'm sorry guys, but this is deppressing. Fresh motors and turbos and all we get is 166 rwhp? with a turbo?? No wonder every one else on this site is dropping in small blocks!! Come on now, these Honda VTEC guys easily get 100 hp/liter. using that number how come we can't get 240/260/280 hp at the flywheel. Multiply by say 0.85 for drivtrain that gets us 204/221/238 rwh??

Now I don't claim to know and 20 years of development aside, it realy makes me wonder?

Do we need a VVT add on?

well the honda vtec engine gets 160 but it has 30 years of engineering on its side (by the way I just saw a Vtec engine put in a 1400 lb 1972 mini cooper talk about scary fast). here are just a few reasons why

duel over head cam

veriable valve timming

hemispherical head design

better flowing head

more than 10:1 compression raito

If we could have a modern head design with all that stuff for the L28 it would probably make 300 HP pretty easy... oh wait they did that ... its called an RB26

I think 170 RWHP is pretty respectable for a 30 year old engine, considering that the engine was really well built in the first place.

As far as the turbo L28 goes ... well you can get 300 RWHP with out to much trouble.

Anyone know of a good dyno place in Orange county California?

:burnout:

I'm not giving up on this issue yet. Edelbrock sells 350 Chevy crate engines that put out 425 hp. That works out to 74 hp / liter (425/5.74). With that number we should get:

2.4 l 177 fwhp 151 rwhp

2.6 l 192 fwhp 163 rwhp

2.8 l 207 fwhp 176 rwhp

3.0 l 222 fwhp 189 rwhp

OK so these numbers aren't steller but this is compared to 30 year old tech. With some serious tweeking an N/A 3 liter should be pumping out 200 rwhp. So what will it take to hit this magic 100hp/liter mark? I realy want to know.