HybridZ

4-barrel intake: THE FACTS

arizonazcar

• 3 weeks later...

Ive used AZCARS product on a stroked L28 its way better then stock efi set up . Made a bit more power nothing to do back flips over but nice . And the cost was the thing i allready had a 390 cfm holley that was new and the intake price was good .

Cheaper then redoing my allready half dead efi setup in my 280z . Made for a clean look ran great on the highway espically at 9 grand in the rpms . Engine was custom built 6 grand to build it not including parts .

The AZ car setup is nice but i wanted more power way more so i did a v8 swap . But for those who want something different with out all the ugly wires i hate wires oh and air hoses to . But anyways its a nice setup flows way more air then the stock efi system ever could .

Again wasnt looking for " big power " but something different .

jason

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Square bore pattern on the Bob Sharp/Arizona Z car version. Clifford Research uses an adapter plate that mounts the square bore pattern to the manifold. The Clifford Research manifold has a large square hole without any carb mounting surface. If you use the Clifford Research manifold you can drill holes in the nitrous plate and mount it directly to the manifold...that's what I did. Makes it real low profile under the hood. I would gather that you "may" be able to drill a square bore to spread bore adapter plate (search Summit Racing SUM-G1401) to mount a spread bore carb, haven't looked at it close enough.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure my dad can beat up your dad.:twak::beatdeadh Really, all this conjecture is worthless without some real, scientific evidence.

You are correct sir. BUT, and this is surely the science part you were looking for, MY 4 barrel 240Z had it's way with another 240Z on the freeway, and THAT Z was running them funny sideways triple dueces :P

Ah, and a little bit mroe fo my 2 cents, since it is only 2:20 AM and I have an L28 swap to continue on in 5 hours.

I will honestly say that the 4 barrel conversion on my Z is the biggest love-hate relationship I've had with any car part. Driving it around, I HATE it. Mostly I believe it's due to the 390 Holleys lack of metering rods, thus making mid-range fuel delivery GARBAGE. But, when I floor it and tack it up, I love it. Also, I do sincerely believe that 390 CFM is WAY too much carb on a single plane/tunnel ram deisgn for a 2.4 Liter engine. I do not believe that I've ever gotten the vacuum secondaries to open up. This is reinforced by the fact that when I had a "500" CFM Holley 2 barrel on it (not really 500 cfm, as 2 barrels are measured at a different vacuum drop), my 1/4 mile and 1/8th mile times were identical. Also, With the single plane design, every single intake valves is getting 390 CFM, assuming the carb is wide-open. If I recall correctly, a Weber 45 flows like 230 CFM, and that's direct runner and easily enough carb for a midly built 2.4 liter. SO, I think my carb setup will work well when I get this mild built L28 swap in, and it sure beats the hell out of that flat top Hitachi's. Even averages about 21 MPG, which I'm ok with, still having the 4 speed and such. All in all, it beats shelling out $600 plus for the round top's or trying to dial on triple webs on what was a mostly worn out engine. Did I mention my cam is retarded about 5 degrees from timing chain slack?

I do not believe that I've ever gotten the vacuum secondaries to open up.

I have a 390 on my car and my uncle told me that odds are i wouldn't be able to open up the vacuum secondary unless i swap out the spring that controls it. I believe the color spring you want is purple or pink but don't quote me on that.

• Administrators
You are correct sir. BUT, and this is surely the science part you were looking for, MY 4 barrel 240Z had it's way with another 240Z on the freeway, and THAT Z was running them funny sideways triple dueces :P

You know better than this. Whooping up on a triple carbed Z on the road means squat diddly regarding how good an induction system is at making power.

This is simple guys, either back up your claims with a time slip or dyno charts, street racing accounts are not valid PERIOD!

There is an L-6 powered street car with SU’s, N/A running documented 12.8’s at the strip. There are similar and faster triple carbed L-6’s as well, N/A. Lets see some dyno sheets and ¼ mile time slips, not just … “I beat up on car once…”

Don't trash this thread with useless posts!!!

Ah, and a little bit mroe fo my 2 cents, since it is only 2:20 AM and I have an L28 swap to continue on in 5 hours.

I will honestly say that the 4 barrel conversion on my Z is the biggest love-hate relationship I've had with any car part. Driving it around, I HATE it. Mostly I believe it's due to the 390 Holleys lack of metering rods, thus making mid-range fuel delivery GARBAGE. But, when I floor it and tack it up, I love it. Also, I do sincerely believe that 390 CFM is WAY too much carb on a single plane/tunnel ram deisgn for a 2.4 Liter engine. I do not believe that I've ever gotten the vacuum secondaries to open up. This is reinforced by the fact that when I had a "500" CFM Holley 2 barrel on it (not really 500 cfm, as 2 barrels are measured at a different vacuum drop), my 1/4 mile and 1/8th mile times were identical. Also, With the single plane design, every single intake valves is getting 390 CFM, assuming the carb is wide-open. If I recall correctly, a Weber 45 flows like 230 CFM, and that's direct runner and easily enough carb for a midly built 2.4 liter. SO, I think my carb setup will work well when I get this mild built L28 swap in, and it sure beats the hell out of that flat top Hitachi's. Even averages about 21 MPG, which I'm ok with, still having the 4 speed and such. All in all, it beats shelling out $600 plus for the round top's or trying to dial on triple webs on what was a mostly worn out engine. Did I mention my cam is retarded about 5 degrees from timing chain slack?

The ported dual SU's flow 360 for the two combined. I looked and found that a 44 Mikuni runner flows 211 cfm per tube. So x 6 that's a 1266cfm for the engine as a whole, which I've always heard is supposed to be extremely "over cabureted". How is that flowing less than a single Holley 390 that has to feed 6 cylinders through a relatively convoluted manifold?

This is just more speculation here that doesn't add up. This whole thread is old, useless, and annoying. If someone wants to pony up some cash and actually TEST something, that would be great. As it is I'm pretty tempted to tool shed this one.

Does it really matter which is better? Those of you who have tuned their cars to the point that you might form an opinion have enough money into your car that if you really really cared, you could switch at some point, but you don't do it, because of one reason or another. If any of you cared enough to swap it over and tune your exact vehicle and show us a dyno sheet, I'd think it was great, but the truth is probably that those of you who run a 4 barrel probably have some nostalgia attached to it, same reason I'll always want to run megasquirt. Point: Even if one was proven, beyond the shadow of a doubt, to be better, some of the people who have pounded on this argument, still wouldn't switch, because they like their setup. Not everyone runs the widest tires they can fit in their car, even though it offers more traction. Being better won't make hardly anyone switch.

I've got a stock 78 280 (fi of course) and would be willing to lend it to dave for a few days to swap parts and make dyno runs. I know most of the debate is carb vs. carb but I thought maybe he would be interested in this. And if it works that well I'll have him leave the carb on there and purchase it from him. I will try to call his shop this week.

You know better than this. Whooping up on a triple carbed Z on the road means squat diddly regarding how good an induction system is at making power.

This is simple guys, either back up your claims with a time slip or dyno charts, street racing accounts are not valid PERIOD!

There is an L-6 powered street car with SU’s, N/A running documented 12.8’s at the strip. There are similar and faster triple carbed L-6’s as well, N/A. Lets see some dyno sheets and ¼ mile time slips, not just … “I beat up on car once…â€

Don't trash this thread with useless posts!!!

Ok, I was being VERY sarcastic, just thought I'd add some humor to the debate, but I keep forgetting, that sarcasm doesn't transfer to the typed text very well. Of course I know that my one time experience means jack. Geezy.