HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JAMIE T

Alum. hubs, 13" brakes. AFFORDABLE! Taking orders!

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

Hey guys, I'm just posting a fresh thread to allow folks who may not have been watching the other thread to get in on the action. I'm making 5 sets of aluminum hubs that are 5-lug with the stock 70-78 hub offset. The Z31 5-lug hubs everyone uses pushes the front wheel out 3/4" further than the stock S30 hub.

The brakes are '94+ Mustang Cobra 13" discs.

They feature PBR twin piston calipers of OEM quality(dust seals, etc...)

The rotors are 13"diam. and 1.10" thick.

The parts I am selling are just the hubs and caliper brackets. You supply the Cobra parts. That makes it affordable for folks building cars on a family budget. You can buy the hubs, then buy the brake parts seperately at a later date! Of course the Cobra parts are readily available from any auto parts store so you can get rotors and pads cheap when they wear. Try doing that with Wilwood pads and rotors! Of course Race compound pads are just as easily available as well as cross drilled/slotted rotors! You can do like me and buy the calipers, then get the PowerStop rotors to turn out a great looking and EFFECTIVE brake package on a budget.

The Hubs are going into production. They are CAD designed by an ENGINEER and CNC machined. The cost is $375 for the hubs bare. $425 will get you hubs, seals, bearings and races, as well as ARP screw in studs. I'm not making any money off these. I'm doing this so I can afford my own set. The more I have made the cheaper the parts will get. I CAN NOT afford to buy all 5 sets then turn around and sell them. They need to be sold BEFORE production ends. The caliper brackets will come later, after I have a hub to mock-up the brake "Package". The caliper bracket will also be designed by an engineer using CAD equipment, so rest assured, this will be a safe effective and attractive brake combo to go behind your 17" or larger wheels. Some 16's might fit if they are designed for large brakes. I don't have any pics since they have not started production yet.

So far Mike Kelly is in for a set, and of course myself. So, I have 3 sets of hubs available.

Guest Aguyandaredhead   
Guest Aguyandaredhead

What is the estimated time of delivery..

If it's not too long I might be in..

J

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

$375 is just for the hubs. The caliper bracket price will be determined later. It won't won't kill us. I'm on a budget also!

Drax, I have 18x9.5" wheels with a 5.5" BS. On the front they stick out past my ZG flares by @1/4" with the Z31 hub. On the rear they sit under the flare by about 1/2". FWIW my wheels are designed for a '94+ Mustang.

With this hub, they will sit about the same front and rear. Now, I know others need something like this. I don't know about other wheels. Anyone considering 13" brakes will likely have a wheel in mind. The Cobra R wheels should fit OK as well as other Mustang wheels. I like to be able to rotate my tires.

I'll let you guys know the estimated delivery date. I'd guess probably a month to a month and a half. I didn't want to have them start making them, and then be stuck with the whole order.

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

FWIW, I just found an eBay store that has the Cobra brake upgrade kit for $429 and $419. The $429 kit has the red "Cobra" calipers used on the '04 Cobra's. The $419 kit has the standard black calipers that say "Cobra". The kit comes with calipers and OEM Ford/Brembo rotors. The calipers come loaded and the kit comes with all new bolts. It's a great deal. His eBay name is "k-mansparts". Check it out.

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

The rotor I have for mock-up is at the machine shop but I do know it weighs about as much as my old 1.25" thick 12.19" set-up with an alum. hat(which I still have) They are Wilwood rotors, Curved vane. The Cobra caliper is very light. Lighter than my old Wilwood Superlight II's. The pad area looks slightly larger, but I haven't measured it. I'm sure that info is out on the web somewhere.

Guest Aguyandaredhead   
Guest Aguyandaredhead

Yes Mike I got the email tonight.. Thanks alot. I am still trying to decide what to do..P.M. me with your best offer..

I will be interested in the hub if we can get a definate date..

Jeff

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

Well, It looks like you guys have time to save-up for the hubs :roll:

The shop I have on this can't get to it until July. They've put me off before, but their product is second to none. I'm gonna make them feel guilty about it and see what we can get out of the deal. I'll keep you posted.

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

No real news yet guys. I should know something later this week.

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

I should be finalizing the drawing today. Production should start around the 19-21 of July.

Owen    10

I have the Z31 hubs and don't like how they stick out 3/4" further, this new hub sounds ideal.

Some questions I have, what is the capability difference of the 13" rotor

and 2 piston calipers vs my Toyota 4x4 4 piston calipers and 11" rotors?

Besides some probable weight loss, what other advantages are there?

Thanks,

Owen

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

Z06 Corvettes, and Cobra Mustangs come OE with basically the same exact set-up I'm making. The fact that OE manufacturers trust this equipment to stop their own supercars is enough for me. Track pads are widely available for Cobra's and Vettes, as well as QUALITY cross drilled/slotted rotors. The 13" rotor gives the caliper more leverage making them more effective. Like I stated in the very beginning of this project, I'm building what I need. I figured others would like these same features, so I offered it to everyone. Plus it helps keep costs down to a reasonable levels. When someone wants to step up the program, Wilwood sells two piece rotor conversions with differant compound pads for race applications that will all be bolt-on.

Also, FWIW, Ford Racing sells the Cobra R brake upgrade that uses Brembo Calipers that should be bolt-ons for my set-up.

Mikelly    115

It gets even better...

In my quest for making my corvette handle and brake well for the track, I found that the STOCK BRAKE setup (What Jamie's design is based on) will survive ALL DAY track abuse on a stock weight C5 corvette... Which is at least 400# heavier than any 1st generation Zcar. These brakes are tremendous. Their performance out of the box is very impressive... Swap in some track compound pads, proper fluid and some brake ducting, and you can go out and ABUSE $200K sports cars. :lol:

I'm in! 8)

Mike

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

BUJT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! haha, I couldn't resist!

As a member here has helped me realize is that by doing this conversion, Folks with 15" wheels could also benefit by use the Mustang GT parts from the '00+ cars. They run 12" rotors, and still benefit from the awesome PBR twin piston calipers! That would make for a cheap and effective braking set-up.

Guest Z-fried   
Guest Z-fried

I'm very interested in this hub. I have one concern... since this is a one-of-a-kind run, if something happens to the hub will there be the option of having another one made? I'm not talking about a warranty, just the option of having a replacement made, I will pay for the replacement.

Also, I'm not going to hold you to it and I don't expect anyone else to either, but trying to get a handle on the all the costs of this setup. Can you give a ballpark cost of the caliper bracket?

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

Actually, I'm pretty close to the machine shop who's helping me out with these parts. Once the program is in the lathe, they can make them when ever anyone needs some. To keep costs down, I will need to make them in batches of 10 or more(hubs, not sets). If someone damages one, I'm sure they wouldn't mind making me a replacement part with no problem.

As for the bracket, no I don't know the price at this time. I suspect under $150. Maybe way less.

Guest Z-fried   
Guest Z-fried

Ok, I'm in for a set with the bearings, races and studs. I'll email you about payment and thanks for all the hard work.