HybridZ

Paint over existing factory paint-how to?

Robin

Hello, I am now at to the stage of looking to paint the car. The car is in great shape however there are a few dings on the side panels and I will be replaceing the lower valance. The care does have a sign of rust (paint bubbling) starting on the roof right behind the the front window trim that is about 3 inch x 1 inch aprox. for the rest of the car all is in great shape with no other rust. The original color is white and I would want to keep it the same color. My question is how you all go about fixing these areas. Rough up the original paint, fix the dents with filler, prime the filled areas then spray over the entire car? Any education you can throw at me would be appreciated.

Thank you

Robin

Im not a pro at body work, but I would fix up the affected areas as you said, then I would go over the whole car lightly with 320-600 wet sand paper, and epoxy prime the whole car before painting (as oposed to just priming the fixed areas) And white is a good way to go too, because it will 'hide' slight waves or imperfections on the body and repaired areas. There are quite a few ppl here that are really good at this stuf, hopefuly they will see this post and add some input. Hope this helps.

Matt

Guest Z-fried

I would take the vehicle to someone who is experienced in this kind of work. I paint and restore older vehicles and there are too many variables in a quality paint job to explain in a post, especially when rust is involved. Chances are this rusty spot is not the only rust on the car, you may not be able to see the other spots.

Trust me, either take it to a pro shop or find someone with experience willing to help you. The initial cost will be higher than doing it all yourself, but it gets really expensive if you have to repaint it because it was done improperly the first time. Good luck.

Scott

Actually from what I understand...Due to the original paint being a lacquer(I think thats what it is anyways?) You really need to strip it down to bare metal to get a quality paint job. If you just paint over it, the paint will eventually crack and look like crap. The back 2 quarter panels on my car were painted somewhere along the line and the guys who painted it obviously did not know this because both panels are showing signs of this.

Guy

It is most definately original paint with no rust except as stated at the begining of this thread. The paint still shines like it should... however there are a few little dings that I want to get rid of. So what would you do racerx if this project was yours?

I just want to clarify for myself....were any of the Datsuns painted with a paint like I described? My brother(who has been painting for 20+ years) told me that a lot of the older Japanese cars were painted with a laquer paint(is that even a kind of paint? I cant remember if that was what he said or if it was something else?)

RacerX? :D

Guy