HybridZ

???Twin turbo Intercooling???

As mentioned above, it can be done either way. There is an l28et(t) mentioned on this board with two SAAB turbos that uses one intercooler. Ferraris, however, often use two.

There are a couple of things to consider in whether to go with one or two:

how many intake manifolds/plenums (plena?) do you have? if you have V engine, perhaps two. If two, then a twin-intercooler-twin-turbo setup may be favorable.

If you are using your L series engine, then one intercooler may be far easier in the plumbing department. You'll probably only have one intake plenum (like that red twin turbo l28.) In fact, I've only seen single intercooler setups on L engines.

like this:

http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/

(one of the two coolest Z's I've ever seen.)

it raises an interesting (to me at least) question:

Which causes a greater loss of boost: a large intercooler to handle a lot of air or two small intercoolers whose output is then shoved into one pipe? i.e. is the boost-loss from merging two air streams greater before or after intercooling? Perhaps merging afterwards is more efficient because there is less volume because it is cold?

Hmm, good thing it's gonna be another year at least until I even start trying to make that 450+ HP 3.1 Litre twin turbo monster.

As mentioned above' date=' it can be done either way. There is an l28et(t) mentioned on this board with two SAAB turbos that uses one intercooler. Ferraris, however, often use two.

There are a couple of things to consider in whether to go with one or two:

how many intake manifolds/plenums (plena?) do you have? if you have V engine, perhaps two. If two, then a twin-intercooler-twin-turbo setup may be favorable.

If you are using your L series engine, then one intercooler may be far easier in the plumbing department. You'll probably only have one intake plenum (like that red twin turbo l28.) In fact, I've only seen single intercooler setups on L engines.

like this:

http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/

(one of the two coolest Z's I've ever seen.)

it raises an interesting (to me at least) question:

Which causes a greater loss of boost: a large intercooler to handle a lot of air or two small intercoolers whose output is then shoved into one pipe? i.e. is the boost-loss from merging two air streams greater before or after intercooling? Perhaps merging afterwards is more efficient because there is less volume because it is cold?

Hmm, good thing it's gonna be another year at least until I even start trying to make that 450+ HP 3.1 Litre twin turbo monster.[/quote']

I'm not sure about the boost thing? Fitting to intercoolers in that engine bay would be hard and might restrict air to the radiator too much. I'm thinking though that either way your gonna have a lot of plumbing and merging after would make sense because you could then fit more air into a smaller tube overall. Maybe 2.5" pipes going in and 3"pipes going out. I dunno. This is just a guess. It's nice know there are others planning for 3.1L monsters that are twin turbo charged. Hey at least I can see how yours unfolds. I'm not bound to start for at least 6years. (college,I plan on becoming an Automotive designer/engineer,both degrees are very desirable, I want to be able to draw something and then know how to make it so that is works its best) for cars that is. For NISSAN would be awesome.