HybridZ

Triple Webers and forced induction? Anyone do this?

Guest tdignj

Lwrnclightner, you are not alone. I have been building my triple 44 mikuni blow through setup for the past half year, and, after much difficulty am finally into the fine tuning. First, mikunis are WAY better than webers (see earlier posts in this thread). Second, this is not, Not, NOT the cheap or easy way to do a Turbo L28, and as awesome as it looks, it is a real pain in the ass. Third, you need a box; a very special box. I found an HKS type 1 surge tank by posting on the Datsun Parts and Needs Facebook group, and had it hand delivered 900 miles in less than 30 hours for under $800. This was a miracle, don't expect that. Do expect to look long and hard and pay over $1k for just the box. And don't just buy ANY box, the secret is what's inside, but you can search for the following, here they are ranked from most to least well thought ou IMHOt:

-HKS Type 2: has a balance tube for even air flow with ~3" front entrance and divisions in the box between top and bottom with holes to pressurize the floats on the mikunis, meaning that the more you boost, the more rich the mixture becomes so no need to jet super rich. Also two nice vaccum ports. The only downside is they are SUPER rare and expensive

-HKS Type 1: inside the box, only minor differces. Big difference is the balance tube which is only 2" wide and comes in from the bottom. Really easy setup if you are not running an intercooler (the maker's original intention)as you could just go from turbo outlet to tube inlet. Makes IC piping a pain, but I overcame it.

-Cartech Box: looks big and cool, somewhat thought out shape. Does NOT do the HKS pressure trick, so you need to jet your mikunis super rich, and you will still run pig rich at idle and lean out on top

-Other/Mystery box: often "JDM" or a "HKS copy" buyer beware! Get a good pic of the inside

Let me know if I haven't talked you out of it yet :P if not, I will outline the rest of my build for you.