HybridZ

Remove voltage regulator and install one wire alternator?

Guest Loose_Screws

Guest Loose_Screws

Anyone know if of any issues with removing the voltage regulator and installing a one wire alternator? I am redoing some wiring in the car, so I don't mind making a few modifications. (Modifications is what this entire forum is all about! :twisted: ).

Anyone done this? Any issues arise?

Thanks!

'77 280Z

Guest 305240

I've never personally had any problems on the conversions I did. I used a GM alt with the 1 wire conversion kit on GM's, Fords, and a Jeep. I even hooked one up to a 6 horse Briggs and used it for a mobile battery charger. I'm going to be using a GM 1 wire on my 240 with a Ford engine, but I'm totally rewiring the car.

Guest Zachb55

I swapped a GM Delco Remy alternator into my 240 which has a 75 280 engine in it... its working fine now, used to be overcharging and i couldnt check if my VReg was working (well it obviously wasnt). you will need a diode thingy that connects the two prongs together on the side of the alternator though, i was lucky enough to have a step dad that had one sitting around and knew that it was what i needed, otherwise the alternator wont charge (it needs some kind of resistance in this circuit, originally they had a charge light but unless your car has one of those, it wont work) so my suggestion: research this a little more, visit my site for some pics (im pretty sure i posted them) and then visit http://www.zcarcreations.com/howto.htm for some good tech articles. that should get you on your way, i found it to be a pretty sketchy swap, you just go by the tip of your nose.

-Zach

I personally like the 3-wire because it charges automatically at idle and senses voltage more accurately. Since installing the GM alternator my voltage never drops below 13.8 volts even with the accessories on. It's a great way to go, but a bit expensive.

• 11 months later...