HybridZ

How can we stop HybridZ from turning into another Zcar.com ?

Forrest

There have been several posts by newcomers lately where the first response told them to search and then answered the question. There was apparently a weak attempt at a search, then another question. Someone answered the second question and told them to keep searching. They then asked another question. Again, someone answered the third question and told them to search. Again the newbie asked another question, etc etc.

My point is that if something has been dealt with before it is in the best interests of all of us NOT to answer the question. The more responses a topic has, the more "legitimate" it looks, and eventually the more legitimate it becomes. This is unfortunate because there is now ANOTHER post in the database with the same information being repeated, and one more time waster for someone trying to search through the archives.

It might be too much to implement or deal with, but I wonder if it would be possible for the mods of a forum to somehow approve questions before they actually get posted. If the question has been answered 100 times, the mods could then tell the person asking to search and possibly explain how to search and thus prevent one more useless post from cluttering the database. Or maybe the mods could just delete useless posts or even lock them to prevent them growing into a semblance of legitimacy.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon,

While I agree with you, it is also kinda 'rude' to just say do a search to a newbie. We were all newbies at one point, and many are not BB savvy.

I am hoping that we (admins) can set up a PM to go out whenever someone registers to make sure that they read the rules, and understand the search feature. But until then, sometimes it helps to be more friendly and give the poster a little info to start with.....but essentially you are correct....just about EVERY topic has been discussed ad-nauseum!

Jon' date='

While I agree with you, it is also kinda 'rude' to just say do a search to a newbie. [/quote']

Never stopped you from doing it! :D

Seriously, I KNOW the search doesn't always work...like this for example...

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=35431&highlight=

But I agree, there are too many duplicate posts, like cutting strut tubes, or my favorite one to hate, "what wheels will fit?"

Some BBS sites have probation periodes where you can't post for the first couple of weeks, most people just give up and don't come back. I know, I've experienced this myself.

Owen

Guest Carrman

While I am a huge proponent of searching first, and asking questions second,(having a high speed connection makes it easier), I must admit when searching, you wouldn't beleive how many times I've went to search on a topic, and found a whole bunch of posts telling me to go search................. :bonk:

Dave Carr

One thing that’s hurt me when using the search function is that I didn’t include the correct word in the search box. For example, a while back I was searching through the archives trying to find what kind of luck other people had with their camshafts and if somebody else had a formula for choosing the correct one for your setup, but when I searched for it I couldn’t really find any answers to my question. So, I decided to create my own post asking the question and I received negative feedback and suggestions to go search again when I already had. The trick was that I didn’t put in the search box “cam combo”, which would’ve given me the correct results. I was just using things like “cam selection”, “cam results”, and so on. I’m not saying this is a fault of the search function by any means, I’m just trying to help justify and perhaps add some perspective into why some of the newbie’s posts are so repetitive. Although, I do hate those “I JUST BOUGHT A 1982 240Z HOW BIG OF A ENGINE CAN I PUT IN THERE SO I CAN BEAT RICERS LOL!!!11” posts. :wink:

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Check the post count.... Newbie here.

First off I am 40 and a professional so am not likely to spout off about my dad or use "bling" language but having just read the previous thread thought I might stick my 2p worth in. (We don't use cents in England).

This forum is an awesome resource for people like myself who are transplanting big, expensive engines for the first time into a Z. On that front that's for letting me into your party Mike, I appreciate it. I am spending as much money on my car as some people spend on an appartment here so every little detail is very valuable to me. Thanks one and all for the experience and advice that gets shared here.

Whilst I would like to think I know how to behave on the forum, it can be quite difficult as a newcomer to distill information as there is so much of it (not a complaint).

I have used search many times and normally found what I wanted but there are so many replies with 6/7/8/9/10 page threads that it sometimes take work to get where you want to be. No pain no gain. Makes the results that much sweeter.

The club I am part of in the UK also has this problem of spurious rubbish, threads being hijacked, flame wars etc so you or should I say we as I am now a member of HBZ are not alone. What to do :?:

Mike, agree totally, zero tolerance for flames, language and offensive behaviour :twisted: - Newbie thread questions .... maybe a period of joining in but not starting threads would not help, people would simply hijack by asking off topic questions.

I realise the Moderators have enough to do without babysitting as well but perhaps any thread posted by someone with less than say three months membership could be "approved" by a mod ? The UK forum for example will not post a single picture without moderator approval. Big ball ache but ensures no unsuitable material is posted. That way, the mods could post the first reply advising search or giving a link to an "explanatory" page of why the thread might not get through to the live site citing reason a / b / c etc. Whilst this is onerous and maybe seen as overkill, it would teach newbie posters how to structure a sensible thread.... what is acceptable, what isn't and what will get them booted, that way the newbies become value add contributors who have had to earn the right by merit to post. Once stripes have to be earned, people become much more self policing and try to stay within the bounds.

Soap box stowed safely away, back to learning stuff again :D

I realise the Moderators have enough to do without babysitting as well but perhaps any thread posted by someone with less than say three months membership could be "approved" by a mod ?

We (the moderators) go back and forth on this question all the time. Its a good idea but doesn't get implemented because none of us have the time. So far there haven't been enough bad first posts to require the committment. Hopefully, it won't happen at all.

I temper my comments here far more than at the "other site" simply because there is ACTIVE moderation, and there is really no need for "the people to police themselves". Someone says something out of line, and they are dealt with.

I only wish the same could be said for the other place. I don't know that approving every post would work, and like I said other places I wish I knew how to make a filter for new posters (say with less than 100 posts) that would actively "read" their question, AUTOMATICALLY perform a search on the keywords, and if there is more than Xx% of matching keywords, Kick the post back to the originator without posting it with a suggestion of the first 25 or 50 relavent hits in the body of a message that stars something like "Your question appears to have been asked and answered Xx times before in the past six months, please read these topics first before rephrasing, clarifying, or otherwise editing your post for a more productive use of other member's time" And then auto-lock the person out of posting until all 25 hits have been clicked on.

To me it SOUNDS simple enough, but I am boggled by what it would actually take to implement this feature in real code writing! So It will probably be a dream for a while tocome until public domain "carnivore" programs become available... :lol:

As a relative newbie I love this site - there is lots of excellent knowledge amongst the members and as a result this is the only Z forum site I visit. Since the upgrade the search function is 100% better. If discussion like this result in improvements (ie the latest upgrade to improve the seacrh etc) then a big thank you to the admins, moderators and members :D

As a new member to this great forum, I would like to offer a few suggestions to kep this forum from becoming like so many others.

1) Before a password is issued, the individual most be directed to a page of the stickys' or most ask/ most answered questions if at all possible. Or, if it all possible forward the stickys' with the new password to the individuals e-mail when the password is issued.

2) Maybe a short questionnaire to find out of the degree of Datsun Z and /or automotive knowledge. Depending on the expertise, that individual will be directed to that area to read specific information.

3) A required time of reading and searching before a question can be posted. This emay effect some new un-answered questions being asked, however it may force some individuals to read and search more.

Thank you,

Glenn A. INLINER FOR NOW BOWTIE COMING SOON !!!!