HybridZ

This 240Z was stored in a chicken coop since 1987

LS1240Z

I placed a AD on craigs list last week for a wanted 240Z body that was in clean shape.I got a few calls here and there.Yesterday morning a woman called me to tell me about her 73 240Z she has.She said that she stored her 240Z since 1987 in her parents chicken coop and now she is selling there home and has to get rid of the car.She explained that she is the original owner,never had a accident and car was out of the weather for 14 1/3 years so it should be in good condition for me.So I decided to go on this 3 hour tour to her farm is Petaluma,CA. The coop that that car was in was in such bad shape that there was holes in the floor from rot.I cant believe the car didn't fall through it.This 73 240Z is not perfect but it the cleanest original 240Z's I have seen.There is no rust in the usual spots like the quarters and fenders.The engine compartment is extremely clean.The floor boards are as if the car was built a couple years ago,not even surface rust.The interior is a pretty nasty color but in clean condition.She told me she never beat on the car and was never a fast driver.She also said this car hasnt seen daylight in 14 years so I hate to do this to such a clean Z but I'm going to gut this car and drop my 01 LS1 T56 in it.When I was trying to move it,I tried to jack it up and my jack went through the floor!I was so nervous that this car was going to fall through when I started to move it the floor started crackling and making serious noise but got lucky.Take a look at the pictures.Tell me what you think

normal_new%20Pictures%20209%7E0.jpg

normal_new%20Pictures%20213.jpg

normal_new%20Pictures%20211.jpg

normal_DSC01060.JPG

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RCNSC

Damnit. You stole my dream Z story! Ah well, good find.

I'm all for HybridZs, but since its only a 500 dollar car and its so original..... maybe this should be the "ORIGINAL" keeper, seeing as its matching numbers and such. You could really turn it into a real collectible.

Personally I'd save the LS1 for another 240Z. Its hard to find them in that shape for that little amount of $$. Trust me, took me a while to find mine. :)

Guest mrv240z

Great find John.They can be found with a little luck and some searching....last August I found my1early all origional 72(10/71) z in S.C. the car had been stored in a garagebehind the house for 21 yrs(it's like fiding a time capsule).....why....the owner told me his wife had gotten 5 speeding tickets in 2 weeks back then...so he thought the car was too fast for her so he parked it...they forgot about it and when the put their house up fpr sale...a prospective buyer opened the garage and found the car...he wanted the car for his teenaged son....but as it turns out the son only wanted a civic(like alot of teens)..so the owner thought it wasn't worth much....$1500 OBO...I negotiated down to $1000.It now resides up here in Toronto.....question....why do most of these find tend to be green/tan.

I dare you to go over to 240z.com or that other board and post this. Then come back here and post a linkto it so we can all sit back and enjoy :>

I think it will be hilarious. :D

you mean 240z.org / classiczcars.com?

Yep!!! :D

Guest bastaad525

ROFLMAO!!!!! Anyone want to place bets for how long the thread would even last????

Seriously though, I wouldn't stress the SBC swap thing... it's a '73, they aren't even 'truely' considered the real classics... only the original first year 240's are last time I checked. By real classics I mean as in, collectable and where numbers matching actually makes a difference. On the flipside, that could/would probably change at some point in the not-to-distant future. In the end it's your car, do what you want to make it as enjoyable as can be... you've really lucked out with a great find and a great price there. As for value... well if you were to try to sell it here or zcar.com or whatever, I dont think it would be worth any more if you just restored it as stock, than if you dropped a V-8 in it. Again... if it were a first year model then this would be different... all original '70 Z's get pretty up there in price.

Anyways, if you really wanted to, could you not do an SBC swap non destructively? I don't see why SBC swaps can't be made to be 100% un-doable if everything is bolt in... is cutting or welding on the chassis a requirement? Couldn't he just pull the drivetrain, suspension, etc and set it aside and be able to put the car back to stock if it really came down to that?

I can imagine them now, flaming away at their keyboards eating handfull after handfull of TUMS antacid tablets :twisted:

aww... come on.

why?

i am a member of the other board and they are very helpful with lots of info on stock routine z maintence, parts, and stuff. I come to hybridz to get info on the swaps i want.

But if i need info on stock interior parts, or tips on trouble shooting electrical problems with lighting, stock wiring diagrams and so forth in go to classiczcars.com. Classiczcars has helped me alot in the past.

With all that said, i really like hybrid z too.

My dream car is a LT/LS 1 early Z car.

I like to read up on the l28et swap, since it is economical.

I love reading threads on you guys cool engine swaps, and learn lots of new things from you guys.

The guys over there when someone needs hybrid z info we refer them here, because alot the good info is here too.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth i just don't want a flame war to break out between two sites i really like.