HybridZ

Brak booster and M/C upgrade

Guest quadcamZ

Guest quadcamZ

my booster diaphram must have a leak i heard a pop under hand braking and now the engine is sucking air throung the booster.

Never did love the pedal feel it was soft with too much through.

What can i get a booster and M/C off at the wreckers that is either 15/16" or 1' M/c that will bolt up to the firewall without too much trouble?

John

Are you using the ZX MC and booster with stock calipers and drums? The reason I ask is I am planning on doing the toyata calipers and replacing the drum brakes with disk brakes on my 72 240Z. Since my MC needs replacing I thought that I would just put the 79 ZX MC and booster in now. I suspect that the pedal will have a stiffer feel until in get the brake upgrades done.

Why does the ZX booster have to go in upside down? Any other mods?

Thanks

Miles

Miles, I havent driven the car as of yet, no motor, so I couldnt tell you, but I wouldnt think you would have any problems using the 280zx booster and m/c with the stock brakes. Also, Im not sure about the 79' booster, but I had to flip my booster upside down so the bolts would line up.

John

Guest zline

When setting a Z up with larger brakes, i upgrade to Z32 mc/sc/booster...works like a charm...braided AN fitted lines throughout.

go ahead and try that, the stuffs cheap and will give you a nice firm pedal.

• 10 years later...

so for the z32 upgrade all you have to do is redrill the firewall? what about the pedal linkage upgrade and all that? i take it that it bolts up to the stock pedal assembally?

I have a 6/73 240z and im afraid i need to replace the booster, however i do not want to pay big bucks and i realize the 73 parts are getting harder and harder to find so i dont mind upgrading to some newer and easier stuff to find. I will be on stock brake set up for a while. the disc up front and drums in the rear. 

We put a Z32 m/c , booster out of a 1993 300zx 2+2 non turbo at the same time we used those brakes front n rear. Brake has a highly boosted feel, real touchy feel . Panic stops will lock up the brakes. Switching to the 280zx m/c and booster.

the 300zx booster is a 8 in, while the 280zx is a 7.

This is tooquick260 build on this site.

Ok, sorry to bring up an old thread but as ive been reading there is good information but i cant seem to find a solid this is what i did. it all seems scattered and this and that and what not so ya. but your saying you are going to the 280zx booster. what year? and the mc from what year? and i am gonna guess non turbo on both parts right? or would that matter. would the year on the booster be a 79-83? and the MC be 84- ... idk. haha. or both 79-83 booster and MC. i keep seeing people talk about different years of booster and a different year MC and its really throwing me off for some reason. but it also would have been cool to use the z32 booster and MC to bad its to touchy. 

3ryce

Be careful of so called brake upgrades you read about. Many of them result in  worse brake performance than stock due to front/rear balance issues.  Typically, these upgrades end up with too much front brake bias. Many have regretted doing one of the popular "upgrades".

You should be able to find stock brake parts at MSA, Black Dragon and/or  parts stores.

Suggest you search/read all of the FAQs on brake swaps and search for brake booster swaps  in the brake forum. It has all been covered many times here and on other Z websites such as ClassicZcars.com.

miles

ok will do, i am doing research right now. i just kept finding odd answers or better yet not full answers leaving me with half my question unanswered.

also your first name is my last name ha ha. 

Incomplete, vague and sometimes wrong answers on car websites is the norm. You may have to search for days getting a bit of information here and there and then draw your own conclusions.  Do Google searches as well, e.g., Goodgle "240Z booster swaps" and you will get a number of hits.  Do Google web and image searches.

All true statements.

We put the z32 brakes on the z thinking bigger is better. I did as much research as possible. Did not find any confirmed information that this had been done. We had the full setup from a donor car, tooquick260's brothers.

Using the TTT3 rear setup made it easy. Once we installed it along with turbo, 6 speed and a whole lot of other changes, the brakes became back seat problem to other sorting out.

I contacted a few of the after market brake companies, Wilwood for one and they could not would not give me any direction. So, I am stuck with it. Driving the car you have to pay attention, normal driving ok but if you have a panic reaction and stab at the brakes they will lock up. You cam modulate and control it toa point. Just a little scary. They feel real good and will stop the car from 120 mph with no fuss.

So he is going to swap with a 280zxt booster and m/c. Stay tuned to see what that does. He has another appointment Saturday to get a re-tune since the fuel pump issue.