HybridZ

problem with european KN2 turbo exhaust manifold.

Xander

"Lag Inherent"?

Maybe for stuff made during the 60's from OEM, but not today.

Most monster turbos make 2-3psi already at 2K rpm. JeffP's does, and he's at 500HP+ now.

Lag comes primarily from improper driving technique, and unrealistic driving expectations from a small engine.

For the added $$$ and complexity of a second turbo, you could install modern engien controls and turbocharging components and experience FAR better response. At FAR less cost.

OK, this idea was mainly about driveability and versatility in a mainly street-driven car and not a 500+ hp application. Like I said, it would be of no value in that application. It's more in line with Volvo low-pressure turbo concepts and power/efficiency technology and it could be flawed there as well. Just an idea. I haven't seen instantaneous throttle response on the turbo'd cars I've had, more like ho-hum, followed by a huge rush of power and I've attributed this to the low static c.r. Let's say 3.5lbs @1400 rpm and I'm talking about a mini-turbocharger acquired from some non-U.S. market econobox where they try to squeeze h.p. out of small displacement engines to avoid taxation based on displacement.

You're probably right but unless you have a variable-pitch impeller and variable dia. tubing and intercooler volume, I don't see how a single turbo capable of producing 500hp is going to provide instant off-idle response with a 7.5:1 c.r. without creating a scene at a traffic light. DAW

• 9 years later...

I'm also having trouble with my manifold, I'm pretty sure it's the manifold because the exhaust leak gets smaller as the engine warms up and thus something is expanding making the leak smaller. A leaking gasket would leak the same all the time wouldn't it? 

Anyways, I can't see under my manifold but I took some pictures with flash, I read here about some flexible hose? A v-clamp? What am I missing?

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

When the manifold is cold I can twist and move the center pipe in/out sligtly....

Any good ideas for a solution here?

You're missing the bellows...that's just a solid pipe slid in place, as a slip joint. It'll always leak like that until it heats up.

Either find the proper stainless bellows and clamps, or figure out a good way to seal the slip joint.

Check JeffP's post--the Mercedes 280 Diesel uses almost an identically sized bellows (goes over your pipe, that us the flow smoothing inner liner to the bellows) and clamps.

The Nissan Stuff us NLA.

I have some SS Slip Fit parts that were custom made, they don't leak...

It was prototyped before Jeff found the Mercedes part worked.

Not E or C... What was available in1983? Were there E's & C's then or were there just 280D's?

SL's were there... Maybe an S...

I believe it's on Jeff's website. Going to a Mercedes shop to look at microfiche and say "that looks close!" Or maybe a junkyard?

That's what Jeff did to figure out what fit... Then he went to a dealer with the VIN information of the car in the Junkyard and ordered a few new ones along with their clamps. From what I recall it was an "exact fit" after a slight stretch of the bellows for axial length adjustment...which may be the case on the MB installation as well.

This isn't rocket science here, this is basic Junkyard 101 engineering, take a likely prospect and see if it fits or you can make it fit.

Beats the alternative of an NC lathe machined part that will have to be copied from a parti don't have access to measure right now!

That old huh... 

Junkyards is a no go as there are none around here or anyplace nearby.

Are you sure it's a 280 and not a 300? I have googled myself crazy but can't find anything regarding bellows on a 280, but searching for the 300TD I found this :D

W140_3.5L_manifold.jpg

That bellow on the downpipe looks to be the thing im looking after doesn't it? Gonna call the mercedes dealer after the weekend and check if they are still produced.

NO!

You, my son, have missed the forest through the trees! :D

Not the down pipe, but those two little clamp things to the RIGHT of the huge down pipe accordion bellows...you know, the ones in EXACTLY the same place as on your manifold?

THOSE bellows and clamps are the ones JeffP used. They fit and as of last year were still available from MB.

Yeah, I thought about it but thought to myself naaah, thats to short.....:P Okay, I'll buy the smaller bellow then ;) I need two to complete my manifold right? I don't think the front one is leaking but if I need to remove the manifold(s) to change it then I might as well change both.

It's a Mercedes 280D, old Mercedes.

You mean 240D, right?  I have a 300D turbodiesel in my 240D, and it has such an exhaust link.  I did not know the 240Ds had that flexible section too - I'm sure the turbo diesel part is different from the naturally aspirated 240D though.

• 3 weeks later...