HybridZ

Chopped 240Z!

pparaska

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming the top 2 pics a photochopped. the 3rd pic is the "current state as of june 04" I would be interested in how it actually turns out.

I could only access the first page so if there are completed pics disreguard my comments :>

No, the top two pictures are not Photochopped. I know Henrik and visited him about a month ago and looked at the car. It is truly impressive!

I have also given Henrik a heads up that his car I featured in this thread so he can have a chance to comment on how he solved the window issue and other questions that might turn up.

Best regards

ThomaZ

Thanks everybody for the inspiring comments!

They gave me inspiration to creep back in the garage and continue working on my little "Mechanix Menace". As usual, nothing much happens in that way during the summer, but the swedish winters are good for getting something done.

As for some of the questions and comments, the opening picture on my site:http://www.cardomain.com/id/chevyz240 is actually a photo with very little done to it. As the observant viewer can see, the picture below is what I started with; the car with the wheels standing beside it. All I have done is to draw the tires and the rear spoiler, plus painting the front cardbord spoiler on the computer. I also cleaned up some of the bracing that was in the car at that time. I may post some bigger pics here.

The windshield is a stock, non-cut one from a Peugeot 309 (doesn't exist in the States, I think). Since it is heavily laid back, the roof will still be lower than stock (about 3 inches). Also, the windshield sticks under the cowl (which has been integrated in the hood). By positioning the wipers at the very windshield base, they will be invisible when not in use. The hood now has a 3/8" gap against the windshield, where fresh air is taken in to the drivers compartment. The stock intake on the cowl has been deleted for a clean look. When it starts to rain, and I turn on the wipers, the hood will automatically be raised around 1,5" to enable the wipers to sweep the windshield.

It's very nice not having to cut the windshield along several sides, as a couple tend to break before you get one that stays in one piece, even if it's just cut along one side.

This thread also inspired me to keep posting pictures, and continue the story on my web site, so check back there! I'll add some pics here too!

Again, thanks for the positive comments! Please don't hesitate to ask more questions or give comments. I'm not the typical internet forum guy, but I'll try to answer ASAP.

/Henrik Schiölde

i love that, the way you chopped the roof shows impeccable taste, its not over stated, and you probably wouldnt notice it unless you were a z car enthusiast. Youve ldefinately hit the nail on the head as far as what the z car "should" hav elooked like. Such a dramatic change in the the construction of the car. but such a perfect change in the way the car looks.

PERFECT!

Yeah, I agree with the rest, thats how the Z should look. Makes a big difference. (but wider track + wheelbase, and maybe a bit lighter, then I could approach perfect).

Just interesting how he mentions that the chevy project was a bit much. Like this one was a walk in the park?

Thanks again guys for the positive comments!

I especially like that some of you think it's done with taste, that's what I have been shooting for. It shouldn't be totally obvious to a non-Z guy what I have done. I think Troy Trepanier said that one of the most pleasing comments he would get at car shows was "What a beautiful car, what have you done to it?"

Regarding wheelbase and track, they will be increased to. I haven't decided on how much, and how I'm going to widen the fenders, but it will be done. As for the wheelbase, I have been playing with a few different options when drawing several side views of the car; moving the front wheels forward, or moving the rear wheels back too. I hadn't decided what to do, or to do it at all, but when I took the top picture on my site, the front wheel accidentally was a bit further forward (you may notice it, if you look carefully) and I think it looks great, so that's what I will do, eventually. Initially I just thought about this to improve on the weight distribution and the high speed stability, but it definitely looks better too!

/Henrik

Steve, I definitely don't mind you putting "my" roof on your car! Regarding fitting you in the car, it may not be such a big problem. The roof is about 3 inches lower at the windshield top, but only around 2 inches lower where you have your head.

/Henrik